Nagios Notification through other mail server

Hello,

Is it possible to use Nagios and an external mail server?

Meaning, connecting Nagios with an user and a password using imap/smtp to another mail server which is on a different server.

Looking forward to your reply.

PS: From what i`ve searched i could only see sendmail which has to be configured on the same machine as the Nagios is installed.

personally i prefer running postfix on the local machine and using a relayserver… but it should be possible to tweak the *-notify-by-email commadns to directly send with some other options… or via some script… if you know how to do it :slight_smile:

So i assume that a plugin/addon for this kind of issue has not yet been made.

PS: Let`s hope that good old google will help me with the parameters for mail command or … as you said, a script.

I suspect it’s way easier to configure a simple mailserver than creating a script… most package menagers have extra configs for use as “satellite systems” which autmoatically configure for the use external relays.

Here’s the script I use.

good to know =)

[quote=“Salin”]Hello,

Is it possible to use Nagios and an external mail server?

Meaning, connecting Nagios with an user and a password using imap/smtp to another mail server which is on a different server.

Looking forward to your reply.

PS: From what i`ve searched i could only see sendmail which has to be configured on the same machine as the Nagios is installed.[/quote]

Look at SSMTP, install on your nagios server - it is a simple mail relay agent and will relay any mail nagios sends to whatever SMTP server you configure it to use. (see -> http://www.nagiosbook.org/html/ch11s03.html