NRPE 2.12 - configure: error: Cannot find ssl headers

Hi,
I have install Nagios 3.0.1 on a Ubuntu linux 8.04 server (LAMP) with great success, it is up and running.

But I have an error when I try to ./configure the NRPE 2.12 addon. (after install of the plugins 1.4.11) On my other linuxhost (which I will monitor) everything works ok, but on my server soemthing is not good.

When ./configure the NRPE 2.12 it says after a while: Checking for ssl headers… configure: error: Cannot find ssl headers, and then exit to the prompt.

What could be wrong or missing?

Thanks in advance

//Norway

Did you solved this problem cz am also facing the same problem

Nope, not solved :frowning:

Take a look at this post…:

meulie.net/portal_plugins/fo … 10550.last

in Ubuntu apt-get install libcurl3-openssl-dev

any program trying to compile and complaining about headers, you need to look at whats complaining (in this case, SSL headers, which a google search or “dpkg -l |grep -i ssl” will suggest it’s related to the package openssl) install the (typically) packagename-devel as well. The -devel package contains the source code which some programs (like NRPE with SSL support) link to in order to finish compiling.

Do what lobican says, and also do
sudo apt-get install libssl-dev

Or instead of installing from source, let apt-get take care of the install for you.
sudo apt-cache search nrpe
sudo apt-get install nagios-nrpe-server
sudo apt-get install nagios-nrpe-plugin

Hi Experts,

I have RHEL 5.3 server, in which when in try to install NRPE i am getting this error  :D  "configure error cannot find ssl headers nrpe", Can any let know about solution for this.

Thanks in Advance,
KP :wink:

As indicated you need to install the package containing the development portion of the desired(installed) SSL library. For most Linux users that is OpenSSL. The development portion is simply a file ssl.h(for openssl, /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h) and it’s associated files.

yum provides */ssl.h
Should indicate what you need to install for any RPM based distribution. Try openssl-devel.

For Debian based distributions, try using on-line search tools or use the apt-file tool to locate the pkg. As indicated previously try libssl-dev.