Wireshark forum - introduction

Wireshark (formerly known as Ethereal) is a free software protocol analyzer, or “packet snifferapplication, used for network troubleshooting, analysis, software and protocol development, and education. It has all of the standard features of a protocol analyzer.

Wireshark is released under the GNU General Public License, and it uses the cross-platform GTK+ widget toolkit. It runs on Unix and Unix-like systems, including Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD and Mac OS X (although GTK+ only works with X11 on Mac OS X, so the user will need to run a X server such as X11.app), and on Windows.

Wireshark is software that “understands” the structure of different network protocols. Thus it’s able to display encapsulation and single fields and interpret their meaning. Wireshark uses pcap to capture packets, so it can only capture on networks supported by pcap.

[source: Wikipedia]

Hi Evert.

In two years has no one told you that this forum does not display true html code? I tried to read your post on Firefox, Safari and Opera. They all say

[html] <strong><a href="http://www.wireshark.org/ etc.

A forum’s founder’s message is often interesting and can give an insight as to what line it may take…

All the best

GL

Hey there :slight_smile:

I was hoping someone could help me with a question.

I have downloaded WIRESHARK…and can see all inbound packets and destinations going to and from my laptop…but was wondering how to see the packets and destinations going to other laptops from the same router.

It’s a home router…nothing fancy.

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks in advance for your help.

D … :slight_smile:

[quote=“Gottalight”]Hi Evert.

In two years has no one told you that this forum does not display true html code? I tried to read your post on Firefox, Safari and Opera. They all say

[html] <strong><a href="http://www.wireshark.org/ etc.

A forum’s founder’s message is often interesting and can give an insight as to what line it may take…

All the best

GL[/quote]

Something went wrong there when I migrated to phpbb from the previous platform. Will fix.

[quote=“bengal11”]Hey there :slight_smile:

I was hoping someone could help me with a question.

I have downloaded WIRESHARK…and can see all inbound packets and destinations going to and from my laptop…but was wondering how to see the packets and destinations going to other laptops from the same router.

It’s a home router…nothing fancy.

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks in advance for your help.

D … :)[/quote]

Post this as an individual topic in the forum, not as a reply to another post…

Hi Evert. I’d like to know where I can see throughput value on wireshark. I need fast response Evert. I have a task… Thanks before, Evert.

Post this as an individual topic in the forum, not as a reply to another post…

For quick/instant replies, may I recommend the Wireshark IRC channel?

I’m sorry Evert… I have problem with my Java plug in, and I don’t understand how to fix it, so I can’t open that channel. Is there any other room Evert…?

Hmm, you could try a(ny) IRC client?

I’m very sorry Evert, I don’t understand how to use it :frowning:

Hmm, try https://webchat.freenode.net/ instead:
nickname: [you pick one]
channel: wireshark

That should get you in a chatroom with many people who know all about Wireshark. No Java required :slight_smile: