A few questions from a newbie

Hi All

I have just installed and setup Nagios to monitor approx 100 servers.
My issues have probably been dealt with already by pluggins etc but heres what i’m looking for.

1. When i set a server to known downtime i dont want it to fail its service checks any more so I get errors reported.

2. I dont know how to get the server to send a net send message to a user on the network if something goes down.

3. The status map is unreadable to me as its so small

4. the 3d status map option gives me a downloadable file instead of drawing it. Am i missing a file somewhere??

Sorry if it sounds like I’m moaning. I love this product and have found it easy to setup so far just for simple pings, maybe I’ll change my mind if I want to monitor official MS services.

Thanks
in advance.

For question 2

Be sure you have the contacts defined, and also that your have the various host associated with the contact or you have the services setup to do the notifying.

Defining contact in contacts.cfg:

define contact{
contact_name doej
alias John Doe
service_notification_period montoringhours
host_notification_period montoringhours
service_notification_options w,u,c,r
host_notification_options d,u,r
service_notification_commands notify-by-epager
host_notification_commands notify-by-epager
pager "pager e-mail address"
email “email address for person”

Defining contact methods in misccommands.cfg

‘notify-by-email’ command definition

define command{
command_name notify-by-email
command_line /usr/bin/printf “%b” “***** Nagios ***\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nService: $SERVICEDESC$\nHost: $HOSTALIAS$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nState: $SERVICESTATE$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n\nAdditional Info:\n\n$SERVICEOUTPUT$" | /bin/mail -s " $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ alert - $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$ **” $CONTACTEMAIL$
}

‘notify-by-epager’ command definition

define command{
command_name notify-by-epager
command_line /usr/bin/printf “%b” “Service: $SERVICEDESC$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nState: $SERVICESTATE$\nInfo: $SERVICEOUTPUT$\nDate: $LONGDATETIME$” | /bin/mail -s “$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$: $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$” $CONTACTPAGER$
}

Associating contact to what you want to notify on:

The below line can be in 1 of 3 places. At the top of the services.cfg, at the top of your hosts.cfg, or associated directly under the host definition in the hosts.cfg.

contact_groups monitoring-group

Good luck…

PS I suggest getting a book like “Nagios System and Network Monitoring” by Wolfgang Barth. It is very informative and has everything I listed above in it.