forums.meulie.net

Can monitor web pages for me

Hi all,

I am trying to locate some php/perl/python/shell script/[other language] software which can monitor web pages for me, and notify me of changes. The report should be human-readable (I have already checked out urlwatch, but its output is a unified diff of the HTML source. Not easy readable).

I know there are various sites out on the Internet which provide this service, but I would like to run it in-house…

It would be great if the product at a web interface. Something like www.watchthatpage.com would be great. I do not plan to use it for commercial purposes, just to keep track of my favorite pages/sites…

Does anyone have any suggestions :?:

Perhaps I was dismissing urlwatch too quickly. From its author, when I asked whether it was possible to get parsed html instead of the unified diff of the html source:

[quote]Yep, there is. I’ve implemented the necessary functionality and released
urlwatch 1.7 which includes this feature:

http://thpinfo.com/2008/urlwatch

You need to install either “lynx” or “html2text” (see which one works
better for you) and then exit your hooks file to get the desired
behaviour. The example hooks file includes and example how to use it.[/quote]

Wow! It’s not often that software writers add features on request within 24 hours of emailing them! 8)

I will definitely take another look at urlwatch!

NB. Kinda ironic that urlwatch is written in Python by a guy named Thomas Perl:wink:

It is possible only from the html source code. Perhaps you can find the to monitor the web pages for these You need to install either “lynx” or “html2text” (see which one works better for you) and then exit your hooks file to get the desired. Then you can only monitor the web pages.