Cant locate config error

I’m running into an interesting issue, nagios was running fine before I rebooted my system after the reboot I receive the following when trying to start nagios.

Starting nagios:CONFIG ERROR! Start aborted. Check your Nagios configuration.

however when I run /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg to try and locate where the error is located I receive:

Total Warnings: 0
Total Errors: 0

Things look okay - No serious problems were detected during the pre-flight check

any ideas on how I can locate the problem?

Make sure the cfg_file= entries in your nagios.cfg are correct.

Make sure your init script for nagios is actually pointing at the proper nagios.cfg. I see you’re running -v /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios.cfg , is that the correct nagios.cfg that you’ve been editing? does it have the correct paths to your cfg_files? is that the nagios.cfg your init script is looking for (look in /etc/init.d/nagios mos tlikely)?

Sometimes people will compile nagios to have all the configs in /etc/nagios instead of /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios, or some package will create multiple directories. make sure mlocate is installed, then type “updatedb” then “locate nagios.cfg” and be sure you only get one result!

hope this helps

See the strange thing is my nagios install will be running fine the only change I made was to an email address in a contacts.cfg file located in a cfg_dir. the strange thing is I can comment out the line in the dir I made the changes in and nagios will still not restart.