Can't we moniter a windows system(not server) with nagi

Hi,
I want to monitor a windows system(not server) with windows XP as OS with my nagios installed in a centOS box.
Can any one please explain the things to do once.
What should I install in my windows system.

Thanks,

Hi!

in fact, it’s quite easy:
install NSClient++ on your windows machine (it’s a compilation of nrpe+ncsa), and use it as an nrpe agent :slight_smile:

Hi,
I installed NSC++ win 32 bit and a zip file from the link prescribed in www.nagios.org
I installed it.
In my centos server, I added windows.cfg file to nagios.cfg and restarted it after changing all the addresses and all
But on my web interface i saw all the services which are included in windows.cfg are critical and the status information is
CRITICAL - Socket timeout after 10 seconds
Please help me in solving this.
One more thing is I did not do anything with NRPE on my server(centos) and client(windows system) as well

thanks,

Well, before having fun with nagios, you should try to do it step by step

Step 1 would be to make it work by running it on command line:
on your nagios server, do a “check_nrpe -H name_of_your_server”

for this to work, you have to:
-have a compiled “check_nrpe” on your nagios server
-have a NSC++ working on your windows server
-have no routing problems, or firewalls
-have no problems with SSL (if your network is secure, compile your plug ins without SSL (option --disable-ssl))
-have properlly configured your config file on the client
etc…

Step 2 would be to do a real test, like “check_nrpe -H name_of_your_server -c my_check_example -a arguments”

and Step 3, when you’ll have this working, then put it on nagios :slight_smile:

Hi,
Thanks, I will try this and will post the result soon

i have some problem with monitoring windows machine.
it said check_nt: cannot parse arguments
someone have an idea of what’s wrong in my configuration ?

thanks in advance !

as long as you don’t post your configuration, we can’t really help you :slight_smile:

please, post some lines of your config, like service definition and command definition :slight_smile:

hi,
I dont have check_nrpe command in my commands.cfg and also in the plugins i downloaded. Where can i get those.

thanks,

The check_nrpe commnad is part of the server-side NRPE install, which is available from the downloads page of www.nagios.org - step 3: Get Addons

Ok, I will check it once

well, In my all windows server I only use NSClient and did not configure NRPE and I am having no problem. Are you saying I should rather use NRPE than NSC ?

Madal

no :slight_smile: the choice is up to you;

the 2 plugins work different ways, and the best choice depends on your set up and constraints (even so, I personnally prefer NRPE :))