check_ldap service is missing

I downloaded and installed Nagios 3.0.3 with plugins v1.4.12. Nagios is up and working, but I’m trying to add a service to check LDAP connectivity and the check_ldap script is not in the libexec directory. Also, the check_ldap command is not in the commands.cfg file. I do see check_ldap.c in the directory that I extracted the plugins tar.gz file to, so do I have a compile problem? What do I need to with check_ldap.c to get it added to the available services?
This is running on a server with Novell SLES 10 / OES 2 64-bit OS.

don’t know if it will solve your problem, but have a loot at:
nagiosplugins.org/node/8

Thanks Loose, I cd’ed to the directory into which I downloaded and extracted the plugins (/images/nagios-plugins-1.4.12/plugins) and ran the command make check_ldap. I got bunches of errors. Specifically:

target:/images/nagios-plugins-1.4.12/plugins # make check_ldap
if gcc -DLOCALEDIR="/opt/nagios/share/locale" -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I… -I… -I…/lib -I…/gl -I…/intl -I/usr/include -g -O2 -MT check_ldap.o -MD -MP -MF “.deps/check_ldap.Tpo” -c -o check_ldap.o check_ldap.c;
then mv -f “.deps/check_ldap.Tpo” “.deps/check_ldap.Po”; else rm -f “.deps/check_ldap.Tpo”; exit 1; fi
check_ldap.c:42:18: error: lber.h: No such file or directory
check_ldap.c:43:18: error: ldap.h: No such file or directory
check_ldap.c: In function

I kept digging and found a Perl script named check_ldap.pl on www.NagiosExchange.org. I downloaded it and saved it as check_ldap in the libexec directory (/opt/nagios/libexec on my server). When I ran it I had two issues. The first was fixed by me specifying the perl binary in the Command Definition for the check_ldap command (/usr/lib/perl $USER1$/check_ldap… in the commands.cfg file) and the second issue was fixed by me copying the utils.pm file from the libexec directory to the Perl path (/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8). When I did that, the check_ldap service completed successfully.
I never did get the check_ldap that was included in the plug-ins package to compile using the make check_ldap command.