check_nrpe plugin configuration assistance?

Hello:

I am using Icinga 1.3.0 with nagios-plugins-1.4.15 and check_nrpe 2.7
If this is not the correct place for this post, please excuse my indiscretion.

I’m having difficulty understanding the configuration options for check_load command on the monitoring server and the remote host.
Last night I had a Load Average of ~20 but the server failed to send out a notice.
I “thought” that a -w and -c values on the remote host would be sufficient to have Icinga send an email. Perhaps I was too hasty?

The command works manually and in the Monitor, but I am debugging why an email did not get sent.

the remote server has this nrpe.cfg:

the Icinga server ha***d*** this service definition:

which I have changed to

The check_nrpe.cfg on the Icinga host is:

[code]# this command runs a program $ARG1$ with arguments $ARG2$
define command {
command_name check_nrpe
command_line /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$ -a $ARG2$
}

this command runs a program $ARG1$ with no arguments

define command {
command_name check_nrpe_1arg
command_line /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$
}[/code]

the /var/log/mail.log* files do NOT have an entry for this event:
Icinga event log has this entry:
[05-15-2011 05:03:57] SERVICE ALERT:
ftbweb;Load;CRITICAL;SOFT;1;CRITICAL - load average: 14.57, 7.33, 3.35

Questions:
Are the “-w 5,10,15 -c 10,25,20” values on the remote host “enough” or does a comparable “!5,10,15!10,25,30” need to be present also on the Icinga server’s service definition?
or in other words…
Did changing check_nrpe!check_load on the Icinga server to check_nrpe!check_load!5,10,15!10,25,30
fix the problem, or can I expect it to fix this issue?

What I have read about this:
nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/nrpe/NRPE.pdf
Numerous dated posts on this forum (Thanks Google!)
crucialwebhost.com/blog/usin … -services/
debianhelp.co.uk/nagiosconfig.htm
debianclusters.org/index.php/Nag … figuration

and others.

Thank you for your time.

So, what I really want to know is if the parameters (after check_disk[123]) on the Icinga server (define services) are “necessary” if they exist on the target server?

Icinga host:
grep check_disk someserver.cfg

check_command check_nrpe!check_disk1!90!95 check_command check_nrpe!check_disk2!90!95 check_command check_nrpe!check_disk3!90!95
target server:

command[check_disk1]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w 90 -c 95 -p /dev/sda1 command[check_disk2]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w 90 -c 95 -p /dev/md0 command[check_disk3]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w 90 -c 95 -p /dev/md1

Shouldn’t I get notified if they were just check_nrpe!check_disk[123] ?
Almost every example I have found shows that the !x!x parameters aren’t present in the service definition.

Thank you for your time.

can’t help you as i don’t run nrpe, but it should be enough playing around with the warning and critical values using low values to see if it generates a notification or not…

Thanks luca