Circular Dependency and Multiple Network Paths

I’m setting up the parent-child relationships for my network devices, and I’ve ran into a bit of a conundrum. I have switches that are linked together in a loop, to allow for multiple paths in the event of a port or cable failure of course. However, if I try to set these up in Nagios as they are physically connected, I will end up with switch A depending on switch B, AND vice versa. I’d like the 2-D map to accurately reflect the layout, and would like the reachability logic to function. I realize I may be getting a little bit beyond availability monitoring which is Nagios’ forte, and I may look at Weathermap for link monitoring. This bugs be though. Also, it would be nice if a host could depend upon a service (say, an SNMP ifOperStatus of a particular port).

Any suggestions or workarounds? Thanks a million.

I’ve successfully treated a loop as a mesh to get decent results. Not perfect but workable. Haven’t tried scaling it beyond four switches.

Nagios<>1<>2<>3<>4<>Nagios

1 has Nagios as parent
4 has Nagios as parent
2 has 1,4 as parent
3 has 1,4 as parent

[quote=“timbCFCA”]I’ve successfully treated a loop as a mesh to get decent results. Not perfect but workable. Haven’t tried scaling it beyond four switches.

Nagios<>1<>2<>3<>4<>Nagios

1 has Nagios as parent
4 has Nagios as parent
2 has 1,4 as parent
3 has 1,4 as parent[/quote]

Hmm…problem in my case is that 1 can be reached through 4, then 2, then 1 by Nagios if it’s direct connection to my core switch is down.