Correct me if im wrong: understanding KVM

hi guys and gals… any clarifications is appreciated…

ive read some of the informations regarding KVM and i just need some clarifications.

say for example: a pc has 8 GB of RAM and for whatever reason its all nearly used up. Can i still use KVM to run another O/S on top of it? what im guessing is that i cannot because they use the same hardware? (i.e. RAM)

another thing, say for example: i am using some sort of notepad on a virtual Operating System and i wanted to save whatever i wrote in it. My guess is that i would be able to save it but i am not entirely sure if i can access the saved file again after i exit out of the virtual Operating System that i used.

also…i know that KVM can be used for server purposes but i am curious how KVM can be used on a daily basis by a decent home computer user.
My guess is that, for example: i am running a Linux Ubuntu Operating System and i want to use a software that only support Windows Operating System. By using KVM to install Windows 7, i can then use that software?

thank you in advance for taking the time to read and respond to my post…

[quote=“flaafee”]hi guys and gals… any clarifications is appreciated…

ive read some of the informations regarding KVM and i just need some clarifications.

say for example: a pc has 8 GB of RAM and for whatever reason its all nearly used up. Can i still use KVM to run another O/S on top of it? what im guessing is that i cannot because they use the same hardware? (i.e. RAM)
[/quote]

When one create a Guest SO it is asked to choose an amount of RAM to be used by the Guest. When the Guest starts it will reserve this amount right way. If ones systems has not that amount it might go to SWAP memory in order to let the Guest OS get that amount.

• Another thing one will choose is how many HD space the Guest OS will have. This amount is also reserved (by criating a file the size of the amount you have chosen. It will be the HD for the Guest OS) and everything that is saved there can be accessed normaly.

[quote=“flaafee”]
also…i know that KVM can be used for server purposes but i am curious how KVM can be used on a daily basis by a decent home computer user.
My guess is that, for example: i am running a Linux Ubuntu Operating System and i want to use a software that only support Windows Operating System. By using KVM to install Windows 7, i can then use that software?

thank you in advance for taking the time to read and respond to my post…[/quote]

When a Window 7 is installed in a KVM it works like it traditional instalation.