Email Notifications

I am new to the boards, and to Nagios. I inherited my position from the last guy that was the IT department. I am not a newb when it comes to Linux though.

This odd problem started about 2 to 3 weeks ago. Prior to that I was getting notifications on my Palm Centro. But I do not get them now. I managed to read through the documentation on setting up contacts and tried a couple different configurations with the phone, but I still get nothing. (i.e. I setup a separate entry for the phone, and added it to my entry) I checked through the log file for nagios and see where the notifications are being sent out to my email, but it does not show that any notifications are being sent to the phone.

Currently I have the contacts setup as follows:

define contact{
contact_name Workphone
use generic-contact
alias Michael

We are running Nagios 3.2.0 on CentOS. Not sure of the version of CentOS though I think it is version 4 or 5.

what did you change 2 or 3 weeks ago? :slight_smile:
touched any template?

I haven’t changed anything, configuration wise. I noticed I wasn’t getting the updates to the cell phone and read the doc’s on how to add / change contact information. But I didn’t change anything else.

check in the nagios notifications page to cehck if nagios generates a notification or not…

It does not. It is sending the notification to Me, and to Nagios Admin (Me also), but not to the phone.

I noticed the same thing when looking through the log files (/var/log/nagios/nagios.log) I could see where notification was sent to Me and Nagios Admin.

Its almost as if it does not realize the information for the cell phone has been added to the contacts.cfg.

why added? you said it always was this way…

is the contact in the correct contact_group?

It was not listed as a member of the contact group.

I hope that is it.

Thanks for the help.

I will update tomorrow and let you know if that worked. I generally get a couple notifications from some servers that reboot during the night.

you can try sending a custom notification.

Remember to reload the config :slight_smile: (do NOT restart)

Not sure what I changed, but something did. I added that alias to the contact group and it worked just fine.

I started getting notifications this morning.

Obviously I changed something, but I don’t remember what it is. I looked at the backup I made of the contacts.cfg file and could not see any differences.

Oh well, thanks for the help.

no problem, glad it workes in the end :slight_smile: