Exchange 2007 Queues

I am looking to monitor queue lengths for Exchange 2007 via Nagios.

When I type the following command

./check_nt -H (server) -p 12489 -s (password) -v COUNTER -l “\MSExchangeTransport Queues(_total)\Active Remote Delivery Queue Length” -w 3 -c 15

I get the number of mails in the queue, but when I add this to the config file Nagios always returns with 0.

Has anyone else had this problem.

verify the backslashes… you have to escape them by doubling them “\”= \

I’d love to have a reply to this problem, but I’m trying to do a similar thing myself – I thought I might be the first!

I want to retrieve the FromAddress from the Exchange 2007 queues and report back to Nagios any user that has over a certain number of messages in the queue. I plan to use this to help detect compromised accounts as we have a different official solution for sending out large amounts of e-mail. Anyways, I’ve gone an extremely roundabout way to fix this and have finally decided to admit that I need help.

1. I found a great Exchange Management Shell query and modified it slightly to suit my purposes:
  1. I saved this as c:\nrpe_nt\queue.ps1
  2. I figured out, finally, how to run this from the command line and saved this command as c:\nrpe_nt\queue.bat
  1. I entered this into nrpe.cfg thusly:
  1. When running this from our remote Groundwork/Nagios server, I use the following command:
  1. While this code works for every other nrpe_nt check (such as disk space, cpu utilization, and other checks I’ve written), this one only returns a blank line. Running the command starting with cmd /c from the command line outputs fine.

Anyone have any ideas? I originally tried to run the ps1 from nrpe.cfg with no luck, which is why I ended up with the batch script. Still, I see no reason for this not to work. It doesn’t timeout. Running the command locally takes < 6 seconds to complete and the timeout for check_nrpe is set at 30 seconds. Instead, it returns a blank after about 1 second.

[quote=“kavanelli”]I am looking to monitor queue lengths for Exchange 2007 via Nagios.

When I type the following command

./check_nt -H (server) -p 12489 -s (password) -v COUNTER -l “\MSExchangeTransport Queues(_total)\Active Remote Delivery Queue Length” -w 3 -c 15

I get the number of mails in the queue, but when I add this to the config file Nagios always returns with 0.

Has anyone else had this problem.[/quote]

My issue is the same on this. And couple weeks ago I did everything but I couldn’t work out it. Just this day as it seemed to me I discovered the troubles’s determination, which should be appropriate here - recover edb files.