Extended Info

Hello all!

Our present installation is running with extended info on MySQL, but it’s not really easy to manage. Switching over to Nagios2 i want to rewrite the CFG files anyway so i was asking myself if it really has some use or not… with a hundred hosts and over 600 services on more than ten sites the maps could be useful if correctly managed…

Has anybody experience with some of the management tools found in the extras section of the nagios main site? (NAGAT/NAWUI)

Any help or comments appreciated :slight_smile:

Luca

Oh God, be carefull with some of those “helpful” nagios .cfg helper’s. I find it much easier to vi ~services.cfg that to fire up an app, that ends up making me input crap into all the fields anyway. From vi, I usually end up doing a “8yy” and “p” to copy paste a section and bamm, I’m done. 2 seconds, but with the app, it’s horrible.

The only helper I love is nagiosmap. It lets me make the map look any fashion that I choose, and it does require “text” based ext info. So no more mysql for that data.
Nagiostat is another lovely addon, that has helped immensely to see patterns of “disk space” usage, or “free tablespace” in a database table. and even ping’s and packetloss patterns over long term. I have my stats over a 5 yr period.

great thanks. :slight_smile:
may i recomend the nagios sytem tray icon? Quite useful if you haven’t a dedicated station hanging around for showing the nagios screen :slight_smile:

Sure, recommend away. I thought that might be a cool one, but since I always have the webpage showing, I never needed it.
Seriously though, you will save alot of time, just using vi, instead of using some config file helper tool. Plus, you won’t get very intimate with your config files, which is a nono in the 'nix world.

i have made almost all my config files in vi for the 1.2 which i have running now :slight_smile:
Being at the point where i have to rebuild my 2.0 from scratch. I don’t want to bring over in the new installaiton that 1.2 mess which i partly inherited and partly, well mostly, have created; I just wanted to see if there is something working well.

hope what i wrote it’s understandable… quite late and just had a heavy SimATC session :smiley:

Ciao, Luca
Edited Fri Feb 18 2005, 11:30PM ]

Jakkedup could you tel me how you configure the nagiostat PlotTemplate for disk space?
I have ping graphs showing correctly but i’m not getting the disk space to work… the images have errors and don’t get shown. Nagiostat itself isn’t complaining so i suppose it’s the plot template format…

Thank you, Luca

ok, got it… worng RRD initializaton.
reading the manuals is gooood :slight_smile:

Thanks, Luca

Wow, RRD graphs. Good job, and you will love them.

back to this topic… :evil:

Graphing postfix instances values (particularly the number of queued emails, toatl, incoming, active and deferred) a script called by snmpd counts the mails gives the value back to nbagios which in turn goes to nagiostat.

I have the RRD archives configured with a 600 seconds step, heartbeat for the RRA is 3600 with a 0.5 factor for the unknowns… getting data from nagios every 5 minutes.

Problem: LOTS of NaN values in the archives… :frowning:

any ideas?

Thanks, Luca

In the debug log, there should be values given that will be passed to nagiostat. ARe the values valid? If there are no values, then the nagios check is not passing this information, or is not getting a value in the first place. But if in the debug log there is no data whatsoever about this service check, then nagios is not even sending the information to nagiostat. Perhaps a copy/past of the pertinent cfg files, nagiostat.conf will help us work on it.
What I have found out when I have NaN problems, it’s found in the debug log. Data will be shown about the host/service/perf data, plugin output, but some times, the plugin data may be blank or invalid data.
One strange thing I’ve seen with nagiostat is that I have to be carefull how I setup the regex’s. Even though I have a unique host/service check combo, it still get’s stepped on, by some other unique host/service check.
For example:
HostRegex /FP-ND-IO/
ServiceRegex /free-Disk_01/
HostRegex /FP-ND-DB/
ServiceRegex /free-Disk_01/
But yet, one steps on the other, so I have to have
HostRegex /FP-ND-DB/
ServiceRegex /free-Disk01/

So make sure you aren’t getting data from one check, stepping on your data for some completely other host.

I have this in my misccommands.cfg file, how about you?
define command {
command_name service-perf-data-handler
command_line /usr/local/nagios/nagiostat/nagiostat -p “$LASTCHECK$|!!|$HOSTNAME$|!!|$SERVICEDESC$|!!|$SERVICESTATE$|!!|$OUTPUT$|!!|$PERFDATA$”
}

nagiostat is getting the correct data. in the debug log i even see the correct commands been passed to rrdtool. I suppose i’m wrong on the initiazlization side of the RRArchive… that’s why i possed all parameters for the archives. Any ideas on this side?

Note: Nagios2 uses a bit different parameters so you need something like:

define command {
command_name service-perf-data-handler
command_line /export/nagiostat/nagiostat -p $LASTSERVICECHECK$|!!|$HOSTNAME$|!!|$SERVICEDESC$|!!|$SERVICESTATE$|!!|$SERVICEOUTPUT$|!!|$SERVICEPERFDATA$"
}

should you ever want to pass to nagios2 this is another caveat :slight_smile:

What about a sticky FAQ thread?
Edited Fri Feb 25 2005, 10:12AM ]

[quote]command_line /export/nagiostat/nagiostat -p $LASTSERVICECHECK$|!!|$HOSTNAME$|!!|$SERVICEDESC$|!!|$SERVICESTAT
E$|!!|$SERVICEOUTPUT$|!!|$SERVICEPERFDATA$"
}[/quote]

ARe you missing a quote? that is >>"
Not that it matters, since you said nagiostat is getting the correct data in the debug log. So yea, it must be how you are parsing the data in nagiostat.conf or like you said, your db initialization.
BTW, the debug log did say it was creating the rrd file right? And it did say it was “inserting values” right?

yes, when i delete the RRD file it get’s created on the first insertion.
Now trying with apan… seems a bit friendlier.

Thanks, Luca

ok, back to nagiostat… apan requests for it’s own plugins… :evil:

Will have to work out some nice templates for nagiostat. :?
oh well… off for the weekend :o

Luca