Host Status Details For All - Status PENDING - Host has not

Hey folks,

I’m a little befuddled with Nagios and I’m a little dizzy from searching around and trying things.

In the Host Detail display it shows all hosts PENDING and ‘Host has not been checked yet’ with the exception of hosts that I put in to Services, those ones have something other than PENDING.

If a Host isn’t in Services when does it get checked?

If it doesn’t get checked (Because it is not in Services) what do I need to do, add it to services or is there some sort of configuration option that can be set so Hosts do get checked even if they aren’t in Services?
For the heck of it I clicked on a host and then clicked ‘Enable checks for all services on this host’ and also checked the box that has ‘Enable for host too’.

Most appreciated, thanks. :slight_smile:

Mr. Anderson

you should have at least a service for each host…
Hosts can’t be put into services… juat add a check_ping service for host *
this should do…

Luca

PS: A small side question to the other “power users”…
could it be that nagios will not check a host if it has no services associated?

You can check hosts that do not have any services associated with them as long as you have your “check_interval” setting of the host configured.
If you are using Monarch to configure Nagios: Monarch doesn’t have this option, but it does exist in Nagios.

Maarten

If you do NOT have a service associated with a HOST, then you will NEVER get any check made for that host. Therefor, it will ALWAYS be pending.
The ONLY time a host is checked, is if the SERVICE check fails. So, if you have no service check, you get no host check then right?

The thing about hosts are that they aren’t much good for anything, unless they are running something. So at least give the host a check_ping for now in the services.cfg file.
Once a host has had a service check made on it, then it’s HOST status should say "(Host assumed to be up) " Why assumed? Well, because the service check was OK, so if the service check is good, then surely the HOST is powered on right? So it’s assumed up.
The only time the status will change for a host, is if the service check fails, then the host check is made, and it will now say CRITICAL - Host Unreachable or
PING OK

Thanks for the assist.
I reviewed some information and in the performance tuning it was suggested to not set check_interval. So I left that alone.
I created a Services file and setup all the hosts within it, no more pendings.
What I got from this? If you don’t want a host to be monitored don’t put it in a Host file or nagios responds with no services defined for host (it is just a warning).
Like Jakkedup said “The thing about hosts are that they aren’t much good for anything, unless they are running something. So at least give the host a check_ping for now in the services.cfg file.”

Thanks for the help folks. :slight_smile: