How to split Warnings and Critical Alerts

Hi

I need to split out my warning level alerts to be one destination address and my critical alerts to be another. Our criticals should send text alerts via SMS and our warnings should only send an email. I have to believe this is a very common setup. I am just confused on how to accomplish this - what it the best method? TIA

Joe

The easiest method is to have two different contacts defined, one with only the warning flag set and a second with only the critical.

define contact{
        name                            warning-contact
        service_notification_options    w
        }
define contact{
        name                            critical-contact
        service_notification_options    c
        }

Hey Tim - Thank you for your great answers. I got it easily working once I understood that you could set it at the contact level. However I still have one head scratcher. How do I associate a recovery email with a warning vs a critical? Here is what I mean: We now have Warnings going out to the support staff via email so they aren’t woken up by a page when a system goes into warning. We can address the warning level issue in the morning. Critical alerts still go to pagers. (I use pagers as a legacy description to mean SMS text messaging…) However, I want a recovery for a critical alert to go out via pagers, but not the recovery of the warning. If I put the “r” under the pagers contact then all recoveries get paged, waking someone up unnecessarily. If I put the “r” under the Email Only contact then the important recovery of the Critical alert isn’t paged. See my conundrum?

Is there a way to associate or set up these recovery messages so that they follow the same path as their original alert?

I really appreciate the help. I love Nagios and have a lot of fun maintaining this fantastic program.

Joe