Inheritance Contact_groups and hostgroups

Hello,

I am new to the board so I hope i have not over looked the answer anywhere on the board or google.

Here is my problems.

I have a hostgroup that has services assigned to it so when I add a server I just add it to the host group and get my services with out creating each service for each host. This works great.

The problem is now I have a users that would also like to get notified for a service that is defined in my hostgroup.

I have a service that uses a template that has a default contact_group and if I user the contact_groups +groupname it works for the services I define for the host but not for the hostgroup.

I hope this makes sense I have confused my self a few times tiring to figure out how to explain it.

EXAMPLE CONFIG :
HOST CONFIG FILE:
define host{
host_name aunix-server
use unix-servers
alias aunix-server
address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
parents unix-router
hostgroups unix-hosts
}

define service{
host_name aunix-server
use generic-service
contact_groups +user ( This works for this service )
service_description Free Space ( /users/dir)
check_command check_remote_disk!90!95!/users/dir
}

HOSTGROUP CONFIG FILE:
define service{
hostgroup_name unix-hosts
use generic-service
servicegroups unix-service
service_description Free Space ( /tmp )
check_command check_remote_disk!90!95!/tmp
}
define service{
hostgroup_name unix-hosts
use generic-service
servicegroups unix-service
service_description Free Space ( /usr )
check_command check_remote_disk!80!90!/usr
}

i’m not sure i understood … :slight_smile:

can’t you redefine all contacts for the single service where you have an extra contact? or add a contact group maybe…

Let me see if I can explain my problem better.

I have a hostgroup called unix-servers in this host group I have services defined Ping, check_disk_temp, Check_disk_root and Check_database
each service uses a template that has the contact group as unix-admins. This host group has server1, server2, server3 and server4 as part of the host group.

Ok here comes the problem.

For server3 service check_database I want to also send notification to dba-admin group as well as the unix-admin group.

I hope this clarifies the mud .

Thanks
Marc

what if you after defining everything you simply redefine the service check check_database for that single host with two contact groups?

That does not work either plus it causes nagios check to complain about duplicate definitions and it defeats the purpose of templates and inheritance.

There is got to be a way to does this or something similar with out having to define each service for each host.

Thanks
Marc