Nagios: check_ping - help needed

Happy New Year to all!!

I am new to Nagios configurations and have only recently setup my first Nagios box running on Ubuntu Server 9.10

Everything is going OK so far - I only have a question on the check_ping command…

I have setup 5 switches (HP Procurve) - which are being monitored by Nagios without a problem…but for 3 of these I get a yellow Warning

PING WARNING - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 3.28 ms

Can someone please tell me why only 3 of my switches have this problem? I don’t get any packet loss and my network seems rather steady.

I’d appreciate any help…

Thanks allot!

[quote=“blu3yy”]Happy New Year to all!!

I am new to Nagios configurations and have only recently setup my first Nagios box running on Ubuntu Server 9.10

Everything is going OK so far - I only have a question on the check_ping command…

I have setup 5 switches (HP Procurve) - which are being monitored by Nagios without a problem…but for 3 of these I get a yellow Warning

PING WARNING - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 3.28 ms

Can someone please tell me why only 3 of my switches have this problem? I don’t get any packet loss and my network seems rather steady.

I’d appreciate any help…

Thanks allot!

[/quote]

What is your service description in those 3 yellow switches?

check_command                   check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
    }

And is it similar with green switches?

[quote=“Judanssi”]

PING WARNING - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 3.28 ms [/quote]

I’d appreciate any help…

Thanks allot!

}

And is it similar with green switches?[/quote]

Thank you very much for your reply.

All my switches are setup exactly the same. Can you help? Do you know what the check_ping! and all the percentage etc means?
Please advice…

[quote=“Judanssi”]

PING WARNING - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 3.28 ms [/quote]

I’d appreciate any help…

Thanks allot!

}

And is it similar with green switches?[/quote]

THANK U Very much… I have changed my setup (check_ping!200.0,20%!600.0,60%) to yours your check_ping! command check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60% and I now have a much better picture of my switches… some still have bad RTA’s but - in essence what is really a bad RTA?

Can you perhaps explain the different switches here --> check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%

the --help switch usually helps a lot to understand what a check does and how to interpret the results ;)

the --help switch usually helps a lot to understand what a check does and how to interpret the results :wink:

Thanks allot for your help…where do I run that command from?

in the libexec directory where the plugins are, run: