Nagios -monitoring PC

Hi,
Iam question,
If you can Nagios monitor the tip, which I mean PC that are connected to the network? Can monitoring disk space, RAM and CPU? Howto?

Hi

Yes Nagios does a great job monitoring PC’s. If they are outside a firewall you may need to open some ports, but to monitor a PC (and I monitor several hundred for what you specified - CPU, Disk, RAM…) you simply need to get and install the NSClient++ from Nagios_Exchange. (Just Google NSClient++). Then install it on each client. You have to edit the ini file a bit to open up certain features, but the README file that comes with the NSCLient App will help nicely. Then once you have it running on the client you use the “check_nt” plugins. Here are my blank templates for those services:

define service{
use generic-service
host_name
service_description CPU Load
check_command check_nt!CPULOAD!-l 5,80,90
}

define service{
use generic-service
host_name
service_description C:\ Drive Space
check_command check_nt!USEDDISKSPACE!-l c -w 85 -c 95
}

define service{
use generic-service
host_name
service_description Memory Usage
check_command check_nt!MEMUSE!-w 80 -c 90
}

The thresholds (the -w XX for warning and the -c XX for Critical) are your issue - use whatever is best for your network. I can’t give you an entire tutorial on installing and configuring Nagios, but this will at least point you in the right direction. Get the blue book - “Building A Monitoring Infrastructure With Nagios” by David Josephson. IMO it is a well laid out book that helps without overburdening you with detail.

HTH

Joe

OK thanks, it works