Nagios-plugins compile failure pst3

Can’t compile nagios-plugins 1.4.12 on Solaris 8. Any ideas? Here are the errors.

/bin/ksh …/libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc -g -O2 -L. -o pst3 -m64 pst3-pst3.o -lkvm -lnsl -lsocket -ldl
gcc -g -O2 -o pst3 -m64 pst3-pst3.o -L/usr/downloads/nagios-plugins-1.4.12/plugins-root -lkvm -lnsl -lsocket -ldl
Undefined first referenced
symbol in file
rpl_strerror pst3-pst3.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to pst3
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target pst3' Current working directory /usr/downloads/nagios-plugins-1.4.12/plugins-root *** Error code 1 make: Fatal error: Command failed for targetall-recursive’
Current working directory /usr/downloads/nagios-plugins-1.4.12
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all’
bash-2.05#

Hi Sam,

did you solve the problem? I’ve got although Solaris 8 and wanted to install NAGIOS on that. But it failes with the same errormessage.

Thanks for your feedback,
Manfred

The solution is to retire the Solaris 8 machines.

I have also found that the daemon mode of running nrpe is better than the inetd mode, in order to avoid copious logging on Linux and other stuff.

If you have trouble compiling on Solaris 9 or 10, let me know. I got that to work.

Hmm.

I tried to use the following alternative:
nagios-plugins-trunk-200807091200.tar.gz

You can find that on sourgeforge.net.

sfr-fresh.com/unix/misc/nagi … oot/pst3.c

at least it compiles. Let me see if it works, too.

Hi,

just wanted to report that NAGIOS is now running on my Sun Ultra1 with Solaris 8!

Seems as if there are some more strange things on my machine. I although got an ELF error that the libraries aren’t available. But that’s I although got fixed. If someone has the same problems feel free to ask.

What is the difference between the source code you use, and the regular source code?

That was the solution, right? You downloaded from sfr-fresh ?