Nagios / PostFix problem

Hello,

My name is Emmanuel. I am from france and working in a business as an I.T Technician.

A trainee set up Nagios in our business and I took over to get it working properly. I am running into a problem when setting up postfix and getting the alerts.

Let me explain :

1. The trainee set up the alert to be sent from his email account (domi…@…com). The alert were not working when he left.
  2. I worked today on Nagios and especially on getting the alert working. I worked on getting the information into the main.cfg file.
  3. I sent an email to myself and it worked.

the problem :
4. When I received the email, I noticed that it was sent from the trainee email address.
5. I tried to find where this was registered. I went into the aliases file, set up my name and email address (… : root)
6. I tried again sending myself and email… still the same with his address
7. I deleted his user name on nagios and even removed his email address where I could find it… still the same… receiving an email from his email account.
8. I removed few computers from the network and noticed that ALL the alerts where sent to his email account. I used the webmail to check his mail (noting that he is not in the business anymore as he finished his apprenticeship).

Here is what I get with the command below :

dominique… is the person who worked on it and he is as root…

[root@GRPPGS ~]# cat /etc/passwd
root:x:0:0:DominiqueGuillon:/root:/bin/bash
bin:x:1:1:bin:/bin:/sbin/nologin
daemon:x:2:2:daemon:/sbin:/sbin/nologin
adm:x:3:4:adm:/var/adm:/sbin/nologin
lp:x:4:7:lp:/var/spool/lpd:/sbin/nologin
sync:x:5:0:sync:/sbin:/bin/sync
shutdown:x:6:0:shutdown:/sbin:/sbin/shutdown
halt:x:7:0:halt:/sbin:/sbin/halt
mail:x:8:12:mail:/var/spool/mail:/sbin/nologin …

So my question is : How can I removed his address and getting mine to take over which means to get all of the alerts going to my email account ?

I spent many hours looking at google… and managed to get some changes but this one ??? I don’t manage to get it resolved.

Thanks so much.

Emmanuel.

It sounds like this is being set in your Postfix server. Open your main.cf and look for a line containing sender_canonical_maps. The file referenced likely still contains your trainee’s email address for the outbound messages.

Thank you very much for your answer.

I did find the line but nothing in main.cfg. So I went into /etc/postfix/sender_canonical
Then I reload nagios and restarted postfix. Did a test but I am still getting the same… The email is received from that trainee email address despite the change of address made… I will look further and keep that forum open on my laptop if anyone has any other advices…

Again thanks to all

Emmanuel

Hello,
I managed to handle it. I changed the address in the sender_canonical file and also made some adjustement in /etc/aliases.

Now everything works perfectly.

Thanks again.

Emmanuel

I didn’t think of the alaiases file. I’m glad you got it working. :slight_smile: