Nagios startup error

hi i have installed and configured nagios on solaris 9 over SPARC .
but unforttunetly when i try to start things up using :

NAGIOSHOME/bin/nagios -v $NAGIOSHOME/etc/nagios.cfg
i am getting the following error :

Reading configuration data…
Error: Command ‘check-host-alive’ has already been defined
Error: Could not register command (config file ‘/nagios/etc/minimal.cfg’, starting on line 76)
***> One or more problems was encountered while processing the config files…

please note that i am using nagios-2.0b3 .
thanks in advance .

Edited ]

you are probably redefining the check-host-alive command.
verify that you don’t have two identical command names

Luca

Man, when I installed nagios2.obeta just to answer some of these problems, there where many little things like this. Personally, the beta should not be installed untill they get all these things fixed. Just my opinion.
But yea, that rings a bell. You definitely have defined the command twice. you could grep the etc directory for “host-alive” and find it quickly, or you could look at line 76 in minimal.cfg and comment out that command definition, since that is what it told you is wrong.

I just noticed this today as well. There are a bunch of duplicate declirations in the cfg files. I just kept issuing the test command, and then when it complained, i went and commented out that block and tested again. I’d guess there was about 12-13 duplicate declirations.
-a

i am really new to nagios so please take it slowly on me ,

i have removed and installed nagios once again .
the /usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -d /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg is now working fine but i am facing a new problem .
when i try to start nagios using "./usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios start " , i

get an error saying : "Error: Cannot open main configuration file ‘/usr/local/nagios/bin/start’ for reading! "

actually when i do a find on "/bin/start " i can not find find it any where in my server …

i must have missed something big …

Just a little tip. I’ve installed nagios many many times. I still red the docs from beginning to end, for each install. So first things first. Read the docs. Then, start nagios the way you are instructed to start nagios. First, you verify that there are no problems by running
/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -v /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
. If it complains, then fix those problems. That is what we tried to help you with at the start, but you ignored us, and just tried a new install. Do as you please, but don’t ask and then ignore us.

Next start nagios as per the docs. /etc/rc.d/init.d/nagios start

I can tell by your attempts, that you hve skipped the docs, and are triing to install and confiure nagios “from the hip” Please don’t . It’s a wonderful tool, and you will gain nothing from it, if you don’t get intimate with the documentation.

Well mr elitiest, dont talk down to the parent. I have installed this software and it is throwing the same errors at me. I will go thru and comment out those sections in the various config files (from what someone said there are 15(!) or so of these). honestly ive just spent the morning trying to get this up and running so i can show my boss why he doesnt have to spend 20k to monitor all our servers. i just wanted a basic test server to try it out on.

normslly i wouldnt bitch, but if the vendor provided config files have numerous errors in them, i would think that there is something wrong with the Q/A process.

im going to go thru and comment them out (started doing that on my own but figured after the first 5 that maybe it was a bigger problem) but then i came here to try and find a fix.

oh and btw i read the docs. you couldnt get that far without them.

OK i fixed it and get a 0 errors message.

BASICALLY comment out ALL the commands under

###############################################################################

COMMANDS

all the way to the next section which should be

CONTACTS

i guess just some bad QA

i would post all the code but its enough to say if you remove that whole section (or comment it out) you get a message:

“Things look okay - No serious problems were detected during the pre-flight check”

i hope there was no sarcasm in these two last posts…
i really hope it…

talking about VENDORS i’d say you get what you pay for…
Using BETA software is anyway AT YOUR OWN RISK.
QA? in an open source software written by ONE person in BETA:?::?::?: you must be joking… possibly the difference to the 20K bucks you wanted to spare?

So PLEASE let the “elitiest” stuff away…

Hope you’re happy with your actual config.

Luca

Look, I aked the person to read the docs, so don’t bring your mouth in here and start trash talking people. If that was to harch, then TFB. As i stated, the beta appears to have many little things wrong with it. I’m done with it, since 1.2 works just fine, right out of the box. No errors, no trouble.

Again mbrice, I have no idea how you figured that you are my parent and that I am talking down to you.