Nagios v2.0b3 Notification problems

I have not made any service or host groups, as i thought that it was not nessecary, i have however made contacts and contactgroups (otherwise the config checker will complain).
Is it nessecary with host or service groups to get notifications?

Okay, i just removed all inheritance options and defined them explicitly, also i removed the dependency clause, and now it works…strange (because i just copy pasted the inherited options)
Anyway, thanks for the help Luca (and others)

Happy it works…
anyway now i know where to look if i have some misterious problems… :smiley:

For the SMS stuff… we have an SMS gateway in house so it’s not really a problem i just send an email to the box and it gets to an SMS:… main problem is looking at all the escalation stuff i had in my old configs… :smiley:

Thanks, Luca

[quote=“TheWizard”]I have not made any service or host groups, as i thought that it was not nessecary, i have however made contacts and contactgroups (otherwise the config checker will complain).
Is it nessecary with host or service groups to get notifications?[/quote]

If a service fails, then the contactgroup defined gets notified. Since you stated you defined contactgroups, and have members in them that are in the contacts.cfg then if a service fails, you should get notified.

BUT, if a service fails and the host is then checked and the host check fails, then you will NOT be notified by the definition in the service.cfg for contactgroup. The people that should be notified would be the people that this host is a member. i.e. hostgroup.

Since you have not defined any hostgroups and therefor have no contactgroup definition in the hostgroups.cfg, then nobody will be notified for any problems with hosts.

Bottom line, service failures will get notified, hosts will not. Define contactgroups in the hostgroups.cfg and define members (hosts) in that file, and you will get notified for host trouble.