New version of Ubuntu Server doesn't work

Hi All,

I have previously installed Nagios on CentOS and using the FAN installation successfully.

I am trying to install and configure Nagios on the newest version of Ubuntu Server without much success.

Today I installed a new version of Ubuntu server with no preconfigured packages, set the address to Static and enabled SSH.

I then followed this install guide exactly:
ubuntugeek.com/nagios-networ … buntu.html

The version of nagios I used was nagios-3.1.0.tar.gz and the plugins nagios-plugins-1.4.13.tar.gz.

When logging into the ](http://)/nagios it asks me to download a .part file.

I tried this installation yesterday on another Ubuntu server install (same version) that was already configured with webmin and a web server and the initial page loaded fine, but when clicking on any of the links on the left hand side I got the message ““Error: Could not read host and service status information!””. On this previous installation, when trying to start nagios using the command /etc/init.d/nagios start it would run for a second then stop running. On the new installation today it doesn’t even start.

Any help?

same problem i had with 9.04. I believe there is a nohup command you can use to get the load script to work but i had no luck with it so just went back to 8.1 server version where all Nagios versions worked fine for me.
Must be the fine tuning and speedups they added to 9.04. Still no real answer to what causes it though.

did you try installing from source as the nagios install instructions describe? :slight_smile:

Yes i installed it exactly as per the getting started for noobies in the official nagios-3-pdf documentation.
after several trials with different linux’s and desktop versus server versions it was just the server 9.04 that woundnt work for me under any version nagios that i tried.

However the same technique worked first time on 8.1. i also had several reformat/reinstall os/ install nagios so learnt a lot along the way.

by source you meant doing it by the nagios guide and using commands ./configure make and make install etc. Yes i started at the top of the ubuntu installation guide and worked slowly and precisely through it. Not proceeding till each step was completed.

I can only speak for myself as a raw beginner with linux and so it was a discovery tour the whole way. But was staggered when 9.04 didnt work. So then tried the 8.1 version with out problems.
Even thought that apparmor might be related so removed that and it did work but only for a short time.

Ah, i thought it was maybe some prcompiled package… In this case the only thing which comes to mind is a problem similar to those related to SELinux on some redhat/centos versions…
No ideas left sorry :slight_smile: