Notifications: script problems

Hi,

I have configured Nagios 2.9 on my Gentoo server and I want to use email notifications to notify my colleagues and myself when some host or service goes down, but I can’t get that particular part to work.

I have written a little script send_mail_notification which I try to invoke with the notify_by_email and host_notify_by_email commands. This is the relevant part of my checkcommands.cfg file:

define command{
command_name notify-by-email
command_line sh /etc/nagios/send_mail_notification xyz@abc test test
}

define command{
command_name host-notify-by-email
command_line sh /etc/nagios/send_mail_notification xyz@abc test test
}

What this script does is just send an email to $1 with subject $2 and text $3. When I invoke this script from command line it works perfectly, both as root and as the nagios user.

I have tried debugging this for several hours, but I can only conclude that either the command is not executed, or there is still some permission problem going on.
I have tried replacing the “sh …” with a simple echo to file and that works, so the notification command gets invoked by Nagios.

What can I do? Is there a way to debug Nagios’ behavior and check what happens when it tries to invoke the “sh …” command?

Ok, I’m just using the “printf …” from the sample configuration file now and that seems to work.