Nsca doesn't work?!

Hi all,

I don’t get nsca to work…:frowning:
Tried everything by the book but still nog result.
I do have some questions about it:

The sticky article say that the command-line should be:

command_line /usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/submit_check_result ‘$HOSTNAME$’ ‘$SERVICEDESC$’ ‘$SERVICESTATE$’ '$OUTPUT$

What is the variable “OUTPUT”?
I don’t find it back in the manuals. I do find “SERVICEOUTPUT” or “HOSTOUTPUT” but no “OUTPUT”.

How can i check if the stuff i send via nsca is arrived in good order on the nagios server? Is there a file what i can check?

Thanks for any reply.

Grz. Johan

nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/macros.html
That explains what the macros are. All of them.

" How can i check if the stuff i send via nsca is arrived in good order on the nagios server? Is there a file what i can check?"
tail -f /usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd

Thanks for that. I already found the problem. The problem is that i didn’t put a real “tab” in the script but a \t .
I think this script (and also the nsca daemon) should be a standard part of the Nagios distro to prevent such problems.
It took me 1 day to sort things out.
Fortunatly i am a lover of this kind of stuff but in a business environment this is a big nono.

Grz. Johan

wellll… in a business environment you have to consider the costs of one system against another… :slight_smile:
Nagios is free… it takes you possibly a couple weeks of work… how much are they worth? how much does another system cost? and how amny problems are you sure you wouldn’t encounter with some other big monitoring tools?
We used HP Open View at the times when i was a simple user down here and had no chance of coming near those systems… but i remeber people working days on the system because a machine wasn’t properly scanned and so on :slight_smile:

You could anyway consider trying to write to nagios developer list… I think there is one. This forum is no official support forum so i don’t think your consideration could be taken into account by the developer :slight_smile:

Luca
Edited Mon Aug 29 2005, 11:37PM ]

Our IT manager purchased HP openview for 10’s of thousands of dollars and it’s still not even taken out of the shipping box. When the CEO of finance was given a tour of my nagios setup, he was livid for having to purchase something that is not even being used and nagios was free.