Services reenabled on nagios reload

Good morning
I’ve recently upgraded from nagios 2.6 on etch to 3.0.6 on etch-backports, whilst I maintained most of the old configuration I’m having a grave issue.
Basically, whenever I restart nagios al the services with disabled notifications have them reenabled.
But with the hosts with disabled notifications it works properly.
I am using “use_retained_program_state=1” as recommended
And both “retained_host_attribute_mask=0” and “retained_service_attribute_mask=0”

Since it worked with 2.6 I’m wondering if this is a bug.

Thanks for your help

a) Don’t use restart (if you need to RESTART use stop and then start)
b) check if reload gives the same problem, usually it’s what most people want when doing a restart anyway.

Doing the reload instead makes same effect …
Also, in the generic template I’ve have:

But, as I read, it should be set to 1, and the retention file settings would override that …

[code]# Generic service definition template
define service{
name generic-service ; The ‘name’ of this service template, referenced in other service definitions
active_checks_enabled 1 ; Active service checks are enabled
passive_checks_enabled 1 ; Passive service checks are enabled/accepted
parallelize_check 1 ; Active service checks should be parallelized (disabling this can lead to major performance problems)
obsess_over_service 0 ; We should obsess over this service (if necessary)
check_freshness 0 ; Default is to NOT check service 'freshness’
notifications_enabled 1 ; Service notifications are enabled
event_handler_enabled 1 ; Service event handler is enabled
flap_detection_enabled 1 ; Flap detection is enabled
process_perf_data 1 ; Process performance data
retain_status_information 0 ; Retain status information across program restarts
retain_nonstatus_information 1 ; Retain non-status information across program restarts
#GRNnagios3 el parallelize_check es comenta

parallelize_check 1 ; Active service checks should be parallelized (disabling this can lead to major performance problems)

register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE!

i suppose yes… but is this line set in nagios.cfg?

is the retention file correctly writable (do you see it change when nagios is running?)

Also consider testing source compiled nagios.

Well, I had to go back to 2.6.
There are not many improvements on 3.0.6 and at least 2.6 is working as expected.
Probably when I do a full upgrade of the server to lenny or squeeze it will work.

Thanks for your help btw

I’d still recommend you test using the source compiled version. Packages sometimes have some very peculiar behaviours to say the least… :slight_smile: (apart from being terribly behind in versions)

I’m pretty sure that it would work fine on 3.2, but at the moment I have no more time to spend on it. And since the nagios server has plenty of other stuff (like cacti, flow collection, …) it’ll have to wait.