Status Information error of (Return code of 127 is out of bo

I finished installing Nagios on Fedora Core 6 via rpm and upon logging into Nagios for the first time I get the following error under Status Information for the 5 services/monitors: (Return code of 127 is out of bounds - plugin may be missing). As I said I installed Nagios via rpm and the nagios-plugins rpm is installed. My plugins are located in /usr/lib/nagios/plugins. I’ve tried reinstalling the rpm with the --replacepkgs option with no luck. Ive done some searching and seen the suggestion of checking the command definitions which I dont know how to do and to make sure the path to all executables is correct which I also dont know how to do. Those suggestions came from the nagios.org FAQ. Perl is installed and I’ve confirmed this with perl -v. I’ve also looked at my commands.cfg file which has all of the check command definitions pointing to command_line $USER$/check_“plugin”. What user/path is this referring to? Anyone have any ideas as to how to resolve this?

Update When I test any of the plugins I get this error: ./check_ping: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Nagios installed from rpms works pretty well on FC5. SELINUX can balls things up if it’s enabled; I normally either disable it or run it in permissive mode because I can’t be bothered to learn how to configure it. I’m sure it’s very good and all that, but life is too short …

I’d recommend installing Nagios from source, partly because you’ll learn more about it that way, and partly because the rpm installation with Fedora puts bits of Nagios all over the place whereas the default install from tarball puts (nearly) everything under /usr/local/nagios where you can find it easily.

ditto