Stupid question about Nagios

Hi!

I have been using Nagios, and know little bit about configuration. So thats not the problem.

I am just interested in, that how does Nagios work? How it can monitor other *nix hosts without giving permission or creating nagios-user for every host. If the server is reachable at my home network, nagios can examine disks, processors and so on, but how it does it? What technic is it using?

it doesn’t.
you can check remote SNMP data, or run scripts through ssh connections. Or you can use NSCA or NRPE (for a descriptiuon of these www.nagios.org is your best starting point)

[quote=“luca”]it doesn’t.
you can check remote SNMP data, or run scripts through ssh connections. Or you can use NSCA or NRPE (for a descriptiuon of these nagios.org is your best starting point)[/quote]

Yes it does… I know because I am monitoring several linux-hosts on same network without giving special permissions to nagios.

If you say so, it must be right… :wink:

Well At least it was right there in the subject. :lol:

Judanssi: What he’s saying is that it uses other Mechanisms to retrieve the data needed to provide the monitoring we all have come to love :smiley:

I come here to have a good look !

"Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?"
Diablo 3 GoldDiablo 3 AccountsDiablo 3 News