Upgrade from Nagios 1.2 to 1.3 - Plugin timed out after 10 s

Hi,

I’ve almost completed my upgrade from 1.2 to 1.3, its been a nightmare the only problem I now have is with the reporting back from a host ping or service ping.

When a host is online I get:

Ping

OK 	01-20-2006 09:37:37 	0d 0h 6m 33s 	1/3 	PING OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 27.15 ms 

Which is fine. But when a host is offline rather than getting a Ping warning with Packet loss=100% i get this below:

Ping

CRITICAL 	01-20-2006 09:33:08 	0d 17h 0m 22s 	1/3 	CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10 seconds 

Is there anything in the configs that I need to change so that I get the right results not just something saying its timed out?

Thanks.

it’s reporting a CRITICAL so nagios should see it down… what’s the retry interval? it’s been down 17h and still is at 1/3…

Luca

It’s at 1/3 perhaps due to being scheduled again for it’s normal check interval. If again it fails 3/3 it will remain in the HARD down state and continue to add time to the number showing how long it has been in that state. i.e. 17hours. That’s my take on it.

This is the output I get when a host will not ping.
CRITICAL - Host Unreachable (xxx.xxx.xxx.xx:evil:
I am using check_ping (nagios-plugins 1.4) 1.42
So perhaps, you need to download the latest CSV of the plugin, recompile it, and replace the one you are using now.
Edited Thu Jan 19 2006, 11:33PM ]

Hi,

Im using the latest version of the plug ins version 1.4

This is the item from the service.cfg

define service{
use generic-service
hostgroup_name Firewalls
service_description Ping
check_period 24x7
max_check_attempts 3
normal_check_interval 3
retry_check_interval 1
contact_groups supportgroup
notification_interval 120
notification_period 24x7
notification_options w,u,c,r
check_command check_ping!2000.0,20%!2500.0,60%
}

the retry check interval is set to 1. Is that a normal recheck interval? Some of these configs were setup by someone else you see.

Im getting for the servicecheck for Ping for example:

CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10 seconds

Im getting for the host check:

CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 18 seconds

I assume something must have changed from version 1.2 of the plugins to version 1.4 but I can’t work out what.

Thanks.

Okay here what I did:

Changed the check_ping plugin for the old version from 1.2, and it worked fine.

Looks like something has changed in the check_ping plugin in version 1.4 of the plugins.

Could someone post there version of the check_ping line from their config?:
checkcommands.cfg

‘check_ping’ command definition

define command{
command_name check_ping
command_line $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ -p 3 -t 20
}

So I can see if there;s anything different?

Thanks, i think this might almost be sorted.

Mine is the same, except -p is 2 and -t is left at default of 10. with your settings, you checks will take longer to perform, since you have 3 packets, but yours will be faster than default since that was set to -p 5. So I would only suggest to change your timeout back to default if you wanna conserve on time. If you get to many false positives, then change it back.