Working with MIBs to monitor a device

Here’s the scenario…

I need to monitor an Avaya server. I have the MIB file for the Avaya server. I understand how to get Nagios to grab data via OIDs, but I don’t know how to get from a MIB file to OIDs…or if that’s even what I need to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :mrgreen:

if i’m not mistaken check_smtp accepts a MIB FILE switch to load the files. but i’m not using MIB files right now so i can’t help with more detail.

Is it check_smtp or another plugin? There aren’t any switches referring to a MIB file when I do ./check_snmtp --help

I think I may have figured something out…or at least headed in the right direction. I found a folder /usr/share/snmp/mibs with a bunch of .txt MIB files in it. I copied the AVAYA.txt with all the MIB data into that folder. Can I just restart the snmp service and it’ll recognize the directives in the newly added file?

i think you don’t even need that.
It’s check_snmp reading the mib files… so i don’t think your snmp service needs to be restarted… but it shouldn’t hurt either :slight_smile:

Ah, that makes sense. I did find a switch for check_snmp that seems like it could possibly take a file argument. The switch is --miblist=STRING. Could I use a file name with that switch?

I’m also wondering if maybe I should be looking at how to add MIBs to Net-SNMP because that’s what runs the SNMP stuff for Nagios, correct?

not sure, long time since i last used MIBs… i think using ALL and defining the MIBs directory is required… but i don’t remeber the details.

Guess I’ll hack away at it. I’ll post my findings on here.