Using Nagios 2.11:
I have a service definition with:
There’s also a set of escalation definitions in place which, starting on the 2nd notification, notifies progressively higher levels of managers.
In addition to what’s in place now, I need to find a way to send Warning notifications, but with the following limitations:
- Any changes or additions can’t interfere with the current notification scheme,
- The Warning notifications should only be sent to me, and only in email (via second contact & contact_group definitions), and
- Each Warning notification should only be sent once.
Would an escalation definition with the following options be allowable, and produce the desired effect?
Two main things I’m not sure about are:
- Can you have an escalation for a Warning if a Warning isn’t included in the underlying service definition?
- Will the combination of “first_notification 1” and “notification_interval 0” might it have the unintended side effect of canceling out the existing Critical & Recovery escalations - or even the original notifications defined by the service escalation? (I’ve read the whole nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/escalations.html document, but I’m still not sure, and it’s a live server, so experimenting to see what will happen wouldn’t be my safest option.)
Would what I described work as is, need some minor modification, or is there a completely different way to do it (preferably without making a whole second set of service checks)?
Thanks for taking the time to read,