Changing how Nagios notifies

I’ve got certain services set to only notify me when they become critical, unknown or recover. However, many times I’ll get notified (at some 2 AM on my cell) that RAM has gone critical on one of our servers…and then there’s nothing…and then six hours later I’ll see that it’s back in an OK state.

This puzzled me for a bit, before I saw that I wasn’t getting notified because the service was slipping from CRITICAL to WARNING, and I’m not set to receive notifications on warning.

What I’d like to know is if it’s possible to be notified of a service’s WARNING state ONLY if it goes from CRITICAL to WARNING. Any ideas?

isn’t critical to warning a recovery?

Luca

I wouldn’t think so, since you can define them separately in your service check setups. I’m thinking that perhaps the plugins return a different value each for recovery, warning, critical and unknown.

Notifications are sent on STATE changes. Now, that means ANY changes. So, now set which states you are interested in. ONly want warnings, then use w ONLY.

No, it’s that I only want to be notified of a change to warning state only if it’s from a critical state. I didn’t figure it was possible but I thought it’d be worth asking about.

[quote=“SonOfThunder”]… However, many times I’ll get notified (at some 2 AM on my cell) that RAM has gone critical on one of our servers…and then there’s nothing…and then six hours later I’ll see that it’s back in an OK state.
…What I’d like to know is if it’s possible to be notified of a service’s WARNING state ONLY if it goes from CRITICAL to WARNING. Any ideas?[/quote]

I see what it is you would like, but I don’t see any way to get it. But my suggestion is to NOT get any notifications at all, since you stated “six hours later”. What’s the point? If a service has gone critical, and nobody has attempted to fix it within 1 or 2 hours, then it’s not worth being notified over.