CHECK_DISKIO UNKNOWN - Cannot open timer (): No such file o

Hello

After a server crash, i get this error: CHECK_DISKIO UNKNOWN - Cannot open timer (): No such file or directory. This command was working fine untill my server got a high load, and ended with a force reboot.

The architecture of the monitoring system is made by a server who running nagios and checks other 30 servers. on the monitoring server the command for diskiosda check is: check_nrpe!-H xx.xx.xx.xx -c check_diskiosda (xx is the monitored server IP).

this is the only server who’s havening a different nagios monitoring system. I guess is without nrpe. Beccause the file /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg
is missing. all installation is on etc/nagios and the i have objects and command config file

Si this possible that this error to arise due to a HDD bad sector? (the cluster who use to have that plugin wrriten on it is gone?

Thank you

Silvio

I have the same probem.

If i run the test in local it works:

/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_diskio --device /dev/sda --critical 20000 --warning 10000
CHECK_DISKIO OK - sda 5.06 Ksectors/s | WRITE=5133;10000;20000 READ=49;10000;20000 TOTAL=5182;10000;20000

But then, triying from nagios server dont:

./check_nrpe -H xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -c check_diskio
CHECK_DISKIO UNKNOWN - Cannot open timer (): No such file or directory

Any ideas?

first thing i’d check the user permissions for the script, will it run as user nagios on the target server?

Always use root for this check, it works perfectly in all the other servers.

I know I resurrect the dead here, but if anyone hits this error via google as I did, the solution that worked for me was to modify line 1040 in check_diskio:

original:
( $diff, $in, $out ) = read_timer();

new:
( $diff, $in, $out ) = read_timer( $tmp_files{$device} );

as the original function call is without parameters, thus bombing on a non-existing filename.