check_nt!MEMUSE showing wrong info


#1

I’m using check_nt!MEMUSE against a Windows 2008 server. The server has 48GB of memory, but the check is showing 96GB. I’m seeing this on all servers, 2003 and 2008. If it’s at 100% used, I’ll never get an alert unless I set the threshold to 50%. Is this a known problem?


#2

That is a known issue. With 64bit check_nt will show your physical AND swap memory. If you use check_NRPE, make a check_mem command and use that for your 64bit hosts (i use it for all my hosts):

define command {
command_name check_mem
command_line $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -n -c CheckMem -a type=physical MaxWarn=$ARG1$ MaxCrit=$ARG2$ ShowAll=long
}

This will give you a normal output again:
OK: physical memory: Total: 48G - Used: 20.2G (42%) - Free: 27.8G (58%)

hope this helps.


#3

Hi, I have the same problem. I made:

Add command to commands.cfg

check_nrpe_memory

define command {
command_name check_mem
command_line $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -n -c CheckMem -a MaxWarn=$ARG1$ MaxCrit=$ARG2$ ShowAll=long type=physical
}

and
on server is Servver.cfg in folder servers
define service{
use generic-service
host_name Homer
service_description Memory Usage
check_command check_nrpe!check_mem
}

On client Win 2008 R2 is the config file nsclient.ini and there is:
alias_mem = checkMem MaxWarn=80% MaxCrit=90% ShowAll=long type=physical

But something is wrong. I recieved:
Memory Usage
UNKNOWN 07-04-2016 15:27:40 0d 0h 15m 42s 3/3 No handler for command: check_mem