I have resolved the issue on both my machines.
On my second test machine, I noticed that the net-snmp-22.214.171.124 got an error at the end of configure, missing lperl. So I installed several perl modules and then configured net-snmp successfully, after that I reconfigured the 1.4.11 plugins followed by make and make install. Finally, the check_snmp appeared.
The packages I installed were (in this order)
- sudo apt-get install libperl-dev
- sudo apt-get install libnet-snmp-perl
- sudo apt-get install libsnmp-session-perl
- downloaded net-snmp-126.96.36.199 from net-snmp.sourceforge.net, then ./configure, make and finally make install
after that, downloaded nagios-plugins-1.4.11.tar.gz from sourceforge.net, followed by
sudo tar xvzf nagios-plugins-1.4.11.tar.gz
sudo ./configure --with-nagios-user=nagiois --with-nagios-group=nagios
sudo make install
The other machine had nagios-plugins-1.4.13 installed. There was an issue with check_http and I think the install bailed out when it hit that error and did not process the rest of the plugins, including check_snmp. I could not resolve that error so I backed up to nagios-plugins-1.4.11 and had success.
This procedure worked successfully today. As time goes by and versions of packages get updated, it will likely be obsolete. The key was to force myslef to look carefully at all the output of each step and figure out what the warnings and errors meant in terms of a final result.
Nagios has been quite a hard dance to learn.