Check_SNMP Thresholds

I have a basic nagios setup from following the quickstart guide. I have it successfully querying information via snmp from some dell and cisco switches. The problem i am having is that i have it monitoring different ports to test for up and down states. On the Dell an up port returns a 1 while a down port returns a 2. Nagios classifies both as ok status.

I would like to know how to set proper thresholds for these devices. Also what i learn here will most likely give me more information as to how snmp works.

Technical information

Nagios Version: 3.3.1
Nagios Plugins: 1.4.15
Net-Snmp Details

net-snmp.i386 1:5.3.2.2-14.el5_7.1 installed net-snmp-libs.i386 1:5.3.2.2-14.el5_7.1 installed net-snmp-utils.i386 1:5.3.2.2-14.el5_7.1 installed

Here is the service definition which is based on the quick config

define service{ use generic-service ; Inherit values from a template host_name some_host service_description Port 5 Link Status check_command check_snmp!-C xxxxxx -o ifOperStatus.5 -r 1 -m RFC1213-MIB }

If i run the check from command line here is some sample output

# ./check_snmp -H xx.xx.xx.xx -C xxxx -o ifOperStatus.5 -r 1 -m RFC1213-MIB SNMP OK - 2 | RFC1213-MIB::ifOperStatus.5=2

I figured out that 2 means the port is down.
Again, It is working… i just need to know how to set proper thresholds for this.

This is a double post so if one gets answered i can close the other with a reference to this.

Thanks

Found solution here: http://forums.meulie.net/t/can-nagios-monitor-a-switch-port-for-errors/4072

Check the post from ADFHAU