Custom notification command doesn't work

Hello,
I’m trying to create a custom command instead of the standard email notification.
This is the simplest modification I could think of to get it working:

‘notify-host-by-email’ command definition

define command{
command_name notify-host-by-email
#command_line /usr/bin/printf “%b” "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress: $HO$
command_line /bin/echo “Nagios - $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ : Host $HOSTALIAS$ is $HOSTSTATE$ ($OUTPUT$)” >> /tmp/nagios.txt
}

‘notify-service-by-email’ command definition

define command{
command_name notify-service-by-email
#command_line /usr/bin/printf “%b” "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nService: $SERVICEDESC$\nHost: $HOSTALIAS$\nAddre$
command_line /bin/echo “Nagios - $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ : Host $HOSTALIAS$ is $HOSTSTATE$ ($OUTPUT$)” >> /tmp/nagios.txt
}

Executing the command from the command line as user nagios creates the file and appends the text to it.
I see the notification in nagios.log, but the command just doesn’t execute.

Any ideas anyone?
Thanks,

Deni

It could be the \ at the end of the echo statement - I imagine this is a mistyped \n ?

Try replacing

with

command_line /bin/echo “Nagios - $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ : Host $HOSTALIAS$ is $HOSTSTATE$ ($OUTPUT$)\n” >> /tmp/nagios.txt

Jon

You were rigth. That was a test command and I overlooked that mistake. My actual command would be:
command_line /bin/echo “Host $HOSTALIAS$ is $HOSTSTATE$ $OUTPUT$” | /usr/bin/gnokii --config /etc/nagios3/.gnokiirc --sendsms $CONTACTPAGER$

I also tried a much simpler version:
command_line /bin/echo “Host test” | /usr/bin/gnokii --config /etc/nagios3/.gnokiirc --sendsms +40xxxxxxx

Executing the above commands from the command line as user nagios sends the sms, but when nagios executes it nothing happens. In nagios.log I can see the notify-host-by-sms command get executed (together with the notify-host-by-email … and I get the email)

Maybe you have an environment issue when it is being run by Nagios?

Have you tried turning debug on for gnokii and then checking the logfile after nagios executes it?

I found the problem, it was a permission issue on /dev/ttyS0, I added nagios to the dialout group and now it works. I can’t figure out why I could send the sms from the command line with the nagios user if he had no permisson on /dev/ttyS0

Denes