Error: Could not create external file command file

Hy everyone,

I’ve just finished configuring nagios, and everything was working fine until I changed one config from a host (just config files, never nagios files). And when I applied changes (service nagios3 reload) the web interface to monitor nagios failed.

Whoops!
Error: Could not read host and service status information!

I took a look into log files /var/log/nagios3/nagios.log and I found that:

[1271668706] Nagios 3.0.6 starting… (PID=1325)
[1271668706] Local time is Mon Apr 19 11:18:26 CEST 2010
[1271668706] LOG VERSION: 2.0
[1271668706] Finished daemonizing… (New PID=1344)
[1271668706] Error: Could not create external command file ‘/var/lib/nagios3/rw/nagios.cmd’ as named pipe: (13) -> Permission denied.
If this file already exists and you are sure that another copy of Nagios is not running, you should delete this file.
[1271668706] Bailing out due to errors encountered while trying to initialize the external command file… (PID=1344)

I’ve checked permisions into that folder (owner nagios) and there is no file inside.

Any idea? (nagios version 3.0.6 under ubuntu 9.10 x32).

Thanks in advance,

did you install from RPM or compiled yourself?

if you compiled yourself try running

make install-commandmode

in the source directory.

I’ve used apt-get from ubuntu.

I’ve tried to remove and install nagios again, but the error still there.

For some reason it is not recommended to install nagios from the repositories.
I followed the installation guide from the nagios.com on ubuntu 9.10 and it worked without problem.

vikjonlinuxhowto.blogspot.com/20 … u-910.html

You may very well install from the repositiories… but in a couple of years it has been noticed by me and others that most “strange” problems come from RPM installs.

The RPM maintainers often use some “distro” related filesystem standards moving files around so you don’t even know where files are :slight_smile:

I installed nagios and nagios-plugins from source and everythig is working great.

Thanks for all :smiley:

Great!

It takes a bit of time and more attention to updates, but it’s usually worth the effort :slight_smile: