Error: Could not read host and service status information!

I’ll begin by apologizing if this topic has been addressed, but I’ve spent a good deal of time over several days trolling through Google hits and FAQ entries without success, so I turn here.

My environment is CentOS 5.2, Nagios V3.0.3. After the initial install, everything worked fine, including four network hosts in addition to my localhost entry (using NRPE). Then sometime in mid-December, I began getting the message in the subject line when I went to what was habitually my standard page, Unhandled Service Problems. The error message is displayed when I attempt to connect to any of the links under the ‘Monitoring’ header. Under the ‘Reporting’ header, Trends, Availability, and Alert Histogram also display the error; the other four links (Alert History, Alert Summary, Notifications, and Event Log) display data, but with a red textual warning in the upper left-hand shaded box that reads “Warning: could not read program status information”. The ‘View Config’ link shows me all of my systems being monitored, but also with the red text warning just mentioned. Nagios entries in /var/log/messages are limited to localhost activity, but the events are being logged.

I’ve run nagios -v /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg and it returns with no errors. I’ve verified the selinux context settings on the directories as documented in the Fedora QuickStart installation guide (and even temporarily disabled selinux, with the same results). If this is an access or permissions problem, I (obviously) haven’t found it, and I haven’t been able to recall what changed between when the configuration worked and when it stopped working. (Unfortunately, I was in the middle of a customer crisis at the time and I didn’t have (or take) the time to troubleshoot the problem logically when it first appeared.)

Any hints?

Thanks, and best regards,

/Harry Sutton, RHCA / RHCSS
 Hewlett-Packard Company

Are you sure nagios process was running when that occured? Run:
ps aux | grep nagios
to se if it is runnning. If not run it and troubleshoot why it had stopped working. Maybe in syslog…

Sorry, I should have also clarified that; the nagios daemon is running (otherwise I wouldn’t see the main page).

/Harry

What does apache error.log say?

Nothing in /var/log/httpd/error.log, even after a stop and restart of nagios. /var/log/httpd/access.log shows 5-minute-interval checks of nagios plugins - nothing unusual.

/Harry

Hm.
Try to reinstall nagios and set it up exactly as tutorial says. Configure the apache.conf in your /etc/nagios properly. Check all permissions…

Okay, problem solved. As usual, difficult to troubleshoot problems like these are typically cockpit error, and this was no exception. At some point, after getting the manual install process (configure, make, make-install) running I installed some RPMs of plugins (looking for some additional functionality that might already be precompiled). Instead of paying attention to the screen as this was happening, I failed to notice it was installing the main RPM as a dependency (yeah, I set the default to not ask me for confirmation - like I said, cockpit error), and the two versions were bumping heads.

Once I manually forced the original daemon to run, using the original configuration file(s), everything came back to normal.

Thanks for taking the time to work with me on this, and best regards.

/Harry

[quote=“h51sutton”]Okay, problem solved. As usual, difficult to troubleshoot problems like these are typically cockpit error, and this was no exception. At some point, after getting the manual install process (configure, make, make-install) running I installed some RPMs of plugins (looking for some additional functionality that might already be precompiled). Instead of paying attention to the screen as this was happening, I failed to notice it was installing the main RPM as a dependency (yeah, I set the default to not ask me for confirmation - like I said, cockpit error), and the two versions were bumping heads.

Once I manually forced the original daemon to run, using the original configuration file(s), everything came back to normal.

Thanks for taking the time to work with me on this, and best regards.

/Harry[/quote]

Harry Could you please tell me how did you do that, I’m having the same issue "Error: Could not read host and service status information"
I am stuck on this and I already had tried everything from the config guide also.

Thank you so much in advance