Filter over Windows Files

Hi,

I have a couple of windows 2000 Server Boxes that i’m already monitoring with NSClient (CPU,MEM, DISKS, Services…).

So far so good… now i’ve got a request of checking a log file in one of them, this file is generated by a BI application (it doesn’t really matter ), but the point is i must find errors inside that file (at an specified time).

From a DOS console i can filter it easily with “find” command.

Does anyone know a way to achive this from nagios? or better, using nsclient?

Thanks in advance…
PD: excuse my poor english :blush:

It is possible… but the file you need to search MUST ALWAYS have the same name… !!!

Add this to your nrpe.cfg file

command[backup_text_search]=c:\windows\system32\cscript.exe //NoLogo //T:30 c:\nrpe_nt\file_text_search.wsf “A” “Search String”

Then get the “file_text_search” from Nagios Exchange (nagiosexchange.org/NRPE_Plug … view%5D=88)
Extract this to (IN my case c:\nrpe_nt) you nrpe Directory

Then from your Nagios Box run
./check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -c file_text_search

You should get
OK: Search string has been found.

This will ONLY check for the TEXT YOU ADD to the command argument in nrpe.cfg.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply…

Correct me if i’m wrong but i think i don’t have that file (nrpe.cfg) and i didn’t see it in the documentation of NSClient.

The only files i have are: pnsclient.exe, a cuple of .dll and counters.defs.
I guess you are making reference to another plugin.

is there any other way to execute a batch file in win2k ?

Cheers

OK.
Get nrpe-2.0 for Nagios it is in there.
Install and Set it up as you need with port numbers etc (For Linu:evil: so it maches you windows machines (Port numbers that is!!)

Then do what I said in my first post… just noticed that some forward slash’s have been removed !!! ooooooops !!!

So put this in your nrpe.cfg file…

command[backup_text_search]=c:/$windows/$system32/$cscript.exe //NoLogo //T:30 c:/$nrpe_nt/$file_text_search.wsf “A” “Search String”

DO NOT USE THE $ SIGNS !!!

thanks!, it works great! Sadly i had to code smth in batch script for DOS. :S