Gateway reporting down

Have had a couple of config problems since installing nagios on a debian etch server.

Solved the ssh problem with following loose’s post in the ssh thread. Many thx.

Only one to solve now and I cant seem to find a solution. Nagios is reporting that my default gateway is down.

This is whats in check-hosts-alive: /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w 5000,100% -c 5000,100% -p 1

and the contents of host-gateway_nagios3.cfg is:

a host definition for the gateway of the default route define host

{
hostname XXXXXX
alias Default Gateway
address XX.XX.XXX.XXX
use generic-host
}

Anything else I could have a look at to get it to report properly, as it must be up because my server is up and running and working.

Added: Info: CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10 seconds, is what is reported in the e-mail notification

Hi,

I’m sorry, but I didn’t get one part:
when you try to ping the gateway (ie: “ping XX.XX.XXX.XX”), does the ping work ?

No I cant ping the gateway.
I have modified the host-gateway_nagios3.cfg to try and match what is set in my settings ie hostname ( it was just default to start with)

I am wondering, is the gateway refering to the gateway of the IP address, or is it actually the IP address that my service provider has assigned me?

Just wondering because this obviously will make a difference as they are two seperate numbers.

And there will be 2 static IP address’s to monitor, both with the same gateway address