How to add users to web interface with full access

The only user that I can log into the web interface with is nagios. I want to add a new user that has full permissions to view & modify configurations, contacts, contact groups, etc.

I went through the cgi.cfg file and added the desired user name to all the places listed here:

nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/ … nformation

Then I tired to follow

from

linuxquestions.org/questions … ce-607353/

to add the user but I get errors that there is no htpasswd2 command. Also if I look in /usr/local there is no /nagios/etc/ path and find or whereis doesn’t find any reference to htpasswd.users file but does point me to a htpasswd in /usr/bin

If anyone could point me to a step by step walk through to add a new user with full permissions to the web interface it would be greatly appreciated.

Found the htpasswd.users file in /etc/nagios3/ then used

to add the new user.

Not sure why find and whereis couldn’t find the file, I found it in a round about way by looking in /etc/apache2/conf.d/nagios3.conf
In that file I saw that it was looking in /etc/nagios3/ for the htpasswd.users file

Now I’m added and have full access to the web interface and don’t get

“It appears as though you do not have permission to view information for any of the services you requested…
If you believe this is an error, check the HTTP server authentication requirements for accessing this CGI
and check the authorization options in your CGI configuration file.”

error message when I try to look at some pages of the interface.

did you install from source or did you use an RPM package?

It was installed from source, I took over after another guy here had started the install finished it and got it working.

I’ve ran into a problem where it seams there can only be one person configured to have full access to the web interface. On Friday I added myself to the cgi.cfg file and then did the htpasswd -c /etc/nagios3/htpasswd.users entered in a password, logged in to the web interface to make sure everything worked and I was able to see off the previously locked parts. So far all’s good so I repeat the same steps and add a log in for the director so he can access the web interface, etc. Logged in checked that everything worked on his login, all’s good there too. Came in today to show him everything and I can’t log in, but his works, so I go through double check the cgi.cfg file and then redo htpasswd -c /etc/nagios3/htpasswd.users

I log in show him how to acknowledge alerts, etc and then head out to school, a few hours later the boss tires to login from home after vpn’ing into work and he can’t log in anymore. At this point I have both of our usernames in the cgi.cfg file but only one of us can login to the web interface, currently that’s me as I was the last user “added” to the cgi.cfg file. I say “added” because it seams like it doesn’t add users but over rights the last user entered with the new user being entered, which seams counter intuitive as I would think that you could have more than one user thats allowed to access all parts of the web interface.

How do I allow multiple users full access to the web interface if the above steps don’t accomplish it?

sorry. this time it’s really a RTFM problem… :mrgreen:

man htpasswd
see option “-c” :wink:

Yeah I caught that about 2 minutes after I posted, DOH! :oops:

:slight_smile: