Intercept shutdown / restart in kvm

Hi everyone,

I have recently developed an interest in virtualisation, and have found KVM remarkably easy to install. I am interested in using virtualisation software to perform particular actions upon virtual machines as soon as they are requested to shutdown. Could anybody suggest what the easiest way for me do this might be please? Is there a particular part of the code which controls shutdown calls?

I downloaded the KVM code from here, but it does not have any folder with KVM within, which confused me a bit.

I am not an experienced Linux user, between a beginner and medium, so I hope you understand if I seem a bit naive regarding some matters.

Let’s first get your host up and going. Which Linux distro will the KVM-host be running?

Thanks, i have got KVM working on Ubuntu 12.04.

You state ‘I am interested in using virtualisation software to perform particular actions upon virtual machines as soon as they are requested to shutdown.’. Are you referring to actions within the virtual machines, or on the host machine?

This is actually a good question, because I will probably need to do both. I am interested in using forensic techniques - most likely using command line tools from the host machine - to provide evaluations of virtual machines when they are started up and shut down (sorry I can’t get too specific - it is ongoing research…) As far as I am aware this can be done from within and outside the virtual machine.

I need to get a bit more work done in terms of how to accomplish what I would like to get done, so I can’t commit for certain at this time to any one approach.

So without getting too specific for the moment, what do you think would be the kind of approach I would need to take to do this?

Many thanks :wink:

electronics products China Cheap Tablet PC popular brands in china