Monitoring Windows (1st time Nagios User)

I am trying out Nagios and want to monitor windows and linux servers, but I can’t find any up to date docs on how to monitor windows Server. I found the agent, but i can’t find the windows.conf file that the document is asking me to modify. Any links or docs would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

nsclient.org/nscp/wiki/Documentation

looks like a good starting point.

So … looks like you pointed raylor88 to NSCLIENT, which is what?

I also am a first time user and cannot seem to find a good OS for the Core download to open. Says it doesn’t like 64bit; so, I backed off Win 2008 and trying to get something to happen on Win 2003 32bit.

Surely someone has blazed this trail before, but I am having trouble finding anything on how to install.

Need help.

Thank you.

Lucky

which is what? well looking at the DOC/ABOUT page it states clearly:

NSClient++ (or nscp as I tend to call it nowadays) aims to be a simple yet powerful and secure monitoring daemon for Windows operating systems.

In fact raylor88 asked for something to MONITOR windows servers… which is quite different from what you are trying to do.

If you want to open the nagios core sources on windows i recommend you try 7zip, but then i think you might have quite some problems compiling it under windows. But maybe who knows under cygnus… If you are successful it would be great if you write a tutorial, i think it would be a first…
As an alternative with more chances of success i’d recommend you install some sort of linux and try there, AND you might be way more successful in installing if you start by following the nagios docs and tutorials: nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/

Nice to meet you too…

Luca

Luca:

Okay, I’ll be the straight man – lol.

My CIO is demanding a monitoring software that can track the events, usage, disk free space, etc. of all our Windows Servers, of which there are 14 now and 35 or so clustered servers in the near future. Our paid friends at Blue Lock told me they used NAGIOS until they ran past the limit of servers, but that it was very effective and … free. Did I mention that my CIO squeezes a penny so tight he ends up with copper wire? Also need it to actually send alerts to e-mails and phones (SMS text) when events become critical.

If the nscp is all I need to install on each server then this is good direction, because i’m too old, slow, and fat to leap blade servers in a single bound.

Linux penguin is cute, the red hat dude is cool, GREP is a great tool, and well, that’s all I know.

Now that you know my needs and my shortcomings, what do you suggest?

Thank you.

Lucky

Hi

to be honest a friendly tone helps a lot :slight_smile:

Nagios works on linux servers,. so you need a linux server, starting from scratch usually isn’t easy, but the docs are good.

Monitoring windows server is a bit of a PITA but it works too…

a) install linux on a server. For the numbers you suggest every piece of crap hardware should do… (ok, now don’t take that too exactly, let’s leave that 486 where you found it. :stuck_out_tongue:
b) follow the quickstart guide in the nagios docs i linked and install nagios, yes, from source, it might take up to a couple of days to get it working but it’s worth the extra effort when you need to fix things up, if you use RPMs you are on your own.
c) install the nagios plugins, if you did the core from source this is a joke
d) READ THE DOCS and understand how the files work together looking at the default installed config files.
e) install nsclient++ on a test windows server and start fetching data and see what you can do.
f) have fun on the other servers.

Sending emails isn’t a problem, sending SMSs requires either a payservice from some provider (email to SMS) or dedicated hardware, if you risk being without internet connection for whatever reason the second is the only option, as you won’t get an email to your provider if you loose the conneciton (or you install a second nagios server somewhere “outside” which monitors the connection to the first server)

Take yourself a week of time and a server and you should get it :slight_smile:

Luca

Luca:

We don’t have any linux servers here. OK … stop laughing … not joking. Does it install on VMWare? Is there not an install program somewhere or an MSI? If you’re laughing again … I’m in big trouble aren’t I?

Do you know of a product that will perform the functions I need without having to trip and fall through so many hoops? You, know … something where I just run the install, turn on the service, and watch all the bells and whistles.

Thank you.

Lucky

well if you want to pay yes… but you wouldn’t be here probably, and i’d rather take that money to learn linux :stuck_out_tongue:

create a VM on VMWare, install debian (relatively quick and easy) no packages just plain basic install and then go ahead with what i said above… I know no alternatives… never looked for some to be honest. :slight_smile:

Luca: Well, I have Fedora 14 installed on a spare machine and it seems to be working (like I would have a clue). The Add/Remove Software function got Nagios downloaded and installed. I did a verify of the nagios.cfg file and it said everything looks good. Can’t seem to bring up the web page though. The config says it’s localhost/nagios/ and I’ve tried that but the browser doesn’t find the server. I mean, it’s right there on the same machine for crying out loud. Oh, I found the docs were where you said but they show directories in a different order than what Fedora 14 installed them. Are all linux documentators the same people who program RPG Games where you’re required to hunt around for every scrap of useful information?

Merry Christmas. Meant in the spirit of Christmas Season, which is Peace on Earth and good will towards mankind.

Not knowing how the nagios package for Fedora is packaged there’s little to do.
Use the remove software function and throw the nagios package out of the window (well fedora… ). :slight_smile:

Check the linked instructions and compile nagios from source. It will take you a bit of time but at least the directories will be the right ones. It’s a lost war with package maintainers (they have their reasons but i still sort of hate them) :smiley:

Have a great new year! :slight_smile: