Mysql issues

Hi all,
I posted a thread in this forum concerning mysql. this is my situation: Mysql was installed from binary source on a Fedora core 3 and I tried to configure nagios-plugin to be able to monitor database server but I got the following error:

checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient… yes
checking for mysql_close in -lmysqlclient… yes
checking mysql/mysql.h usability… no
checking mysql/mysql.h presence… no
checking for mysql/mysql.h… no
checking mysql/errmsg.h usability… no
checking mysql/errmsg.h presence… no
checking for mysql/errmsg.h… no
configure: WARNING: Skipping mysql plugin
configure: WARNING: install mysql client headers to compile this plugin (see REQUIREMENTS).

I checked the requirements and realised I have to install mysql-devel which is rpm.

my question is: is it possible to compile and install mysql-devel and mysql-client from binary and not from rpm.

thanks in advance

If you want to do it check for the sources on www.mysql.com

Luca

Hi,
this is my third day in searching for how to solve this issue of mysql-devel in tarball I even tried to convert from rpm to tgz using alien software and whn I ran ./configure it gave the same error:

checking for mysql_init in -lmysqlclient… yes
checking for mysql_close in -lmysqlclient… yes
checking mysql/mysql.h usability… no
checking mysql/mysql.h presence… no
checking for mysql/mysql.h… no
checking mysql/errmsg.h usability… no
checking mysql/errmsg.h presence… no
checking for mysql/errmsg.h… no
configure: WARNING: Skipping mysql plugin
configure: WARNING: install mysql client headers to compile this plugin (see REQUIREMENTS).

I really need to do this bcos my coy policy is to use tarball installation instead of rpms

I’ll be grateful if I can get any link or tutorials that can help me solve this…

thanks in advance :cry:

do you install mysql_client before mysql-devel ? looks like there’s some missing dependency…

Luca

Here is my ./configure command:
./configure --with-mysql-comments --with-mysql-status --with-template-extinfo --with-mysql-retention --with-template-objects --with-mysql-downtime --with-mysql-lib=/usr/lib/mysql --with-mysql-inc=/usr/include/mysql

Perhaps you need to do as I did. I HAD to tell nagios where mysql was by using the --with-mysql-lib and the --with-mysql-inc. Otherwise, it failed just as yours did.

Thanks I have been able to solve the problem I discovered that when I used this binary mysql-standard-4.1.15-pc-linux-gnu-i686-glibc23.tar.gz
and added --enable=mysql nagios skips check_mysql but when I installed this mysql-4.1.15.tar.gz with --enable=mysql it worked…