Nagios Alerts and exchange server

Everyone,

I currently have Nagions running in a Windows AD 2003 Native mode monitoring 20+ servers but I cant receive alerts. I’m running a exchange 2007 server using authentication to send email. Can anyone help in configuring this so I could send emails from the nagios monitoring application to our exchange server email address.

Thanks

Did you install mailx? That’s the first step.

yes and it’s working, I also adjusted the command.cfg to reflect /usr/bin/mailx.

Sounds like it could be an exchange issue as much as a nagios server issue. Check your mail logs. Most likely the answer there. The 2 most obvious things are that your MTA on the nagios box is misconfigured, or that your exchange server needs some settings changed, like allowing the nagios box to relay mail to it. If mail logs don’t show anything you’ll obviously have to start on that side and see what isn’t right on the nagio server.

The nagios event log tells me the alert happen and and executed but I get no emails, anywhere else I could check, I have no idea where the email is going.

I cant believe that no ones has done this before with relaying Nagios alert to a exchange server withing the network. Does anyone have ideas why this is not working or what I should be looking for in order to properly troubleshoot this.

Thanks

Lo fella

I don’t know what is wrong with this but here’s what I would check for starters:
-Check your local mail queues on the Nagios server and see if they are backed up.
-Check the mail related files in /var/mail and /var/log/mail for any error messages indicating where the problem may lie
-Are there any devices in between that could be blocking the mail traffic?
-Is there a local firewall on the Exchage server blocking the access somehow?
-Telnet on port 25 to your Exchange Hub Transport server to check the connectivity through.
-As Lokiz mentioned, check that your Nagios server’s hostname/IP is allowed to relay mail in your Exchange Organisation

Hmm can’t think of anything more atm, give those a try for now I guess.

Are you smart hosting from nagios using your Exchange server as the smart host? you’ll need to allow relay from there…

[quote=“amador”]Everyone,

I currently have Nagions running in a Windows AD 2003 Native mode monitoring 20+ servers but I cant receive alerts. I’m running a exchange 2007 server using authentication to send email. Can anyone help in configuring this so I could send emails from the nagios monitoring application to our exchange server email address.

Thanks[/quote]

I frequently use import/export in my ms exchange server, but once when I did this operation something happened. Only my experience helped me to manage with such situation. It was a tool, which showed me how it could restore edb files from scratch and use previously saved backup copies of email database and some more facilities which forced me to believe that this utility is able to solve many other unpleasant situations - .edb repair.

I also adjusted the command.cfg to reflect /usr/bin/mailx…