Nagios not seeing plugin

I just rebuilt a machine with CentOS 5.2 and installed nrpe-2.9 From the nagios server, I can telnet to 5666 on this host, but nagios still says CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10 seconds I was looking to find out how to manually run the command to check this, and found a post that said /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe But I do not have a check_nrpe anywhere on the nagios server, and there are dozens of hosts that are being checked just fine. The server is CentOS 4.5 (Final) with nagios-2.9-1.el4.rf

you will find check_nrpe plugin in your libexec if you install nrpe plugin
you should do make install-plugin while installing nrpe

Regards,

I built nagios-plugins-1.4.13 but there is no check_nrpe

Then I realized that there are some other RPMs installed, and one did contain check_nrpe Dunno why ‘find’ didn’t find it. But…

[root@cerberus nagios-plugins-1.4.13]# /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H 10.5.0.34
NRPE v2.9

I’m guessing that means it can, in fact, talk to the nrpe on the host in question. So… why does nagios say “CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10 seconds”?

What does the nrpe command object say? Perhaps all of your other servers are not using port 5666…

Hi,

Here the command check time is 10 seconds. It checked for 10 minutes for the plugin check_nrpe and did not find it.
So the output is critical for that.

You download NRPe tar file, configure it, and install just the plugin.
Its enough for a system in which nagios is running. You need not follow whole configuration file.
Follow the PDF or HTML file available in the websites that belong to nrpe

Regards,

For more detail information see the documentation part of NRPE on www.nagios.org