Nagios-plugins-1.4.12 AIX 6.1 compile error for check_ntp

Hi All,
Have been attempting to compile nagios-plugins-1.4.12 on an AIX 6.1 SP2 system with gcc and it bombs on the check_ntp module.

./configure --prefix=/opt/nagios --enable-perl-modules and that completed OK.

then during make:
if /usr/src/nagios-plugins-1.4.12/build-aux/compile gcc -DLOCALEDIR="/opt/nagios/share/locale" -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I… -I… -I…/lib -I…/gl -I…/intl -I/usr/include -g -O2 -MT check_ntp.o -MD -MP -MF “.deps/check_ntp.Tpo” -c -o check_ntp.o check_ntp.c; then mv -f “.deps/check_ntp.Tpo” “.deps/check_ntp.Po”; else rm -f “.deps/check_ntp.Tpo”; exit 1; fi
mv: 0653-405 check_ntp.o and check_ntp.o are identical.
/bin/sh …/libtool --tag=CC --mode=link /usr/src/nagios-plugins-1.4.12/build-aux/compile gcc -g -O2 -L. -o check_ntp check_ntp.o netutils.o utils.o …/lib/libnagiosplug.a …/gl/libgnu.a -lnsl -lintl -ldl
/usr/src/nagios-plugins-1.4.12/build-aux/compile gcc -g -O2 -o check_ntp check_ntp.o netutils.o utils.o -L/usr/src/nagios-plugins-1.4.12/plugins …/lib/libnagiosplug.a …/gl/libgnu.a -lnsl /opt/freeware/lib/libintl.a -liconv -ldl
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .pow
ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more information.
collect2: ld returned 8 exit status
make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.

Stop.
make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.

Stop.
make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 2.

Stop.

In reviewing the code I see this at 235 of check_ntp.c:
printf("\tpoll = %g\n", pow(2, p->poll));
printf("\tprecision = %g\n", pow(2, p->precision));

it’s also in check_ntp_time.c at line 216.

So when I comment the two lines out it compiles OK. So my questions are:
1.) What is the impact of taking out those two lines
2.) What can be done to fix it? Do I need to call an AIX function differently?

I’m not a coder, just a simple admin who needs to get this running on AIX so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark