Nagios syslog

hi to all!
I need to export nagios alerts to an external syslog server for centralized management and monitoring. I can see nagios messages in “var/log/messages” but i can’t find which syslog facility is used by nagios! can someone help? thanks in advance

Maybe I should explain myself better, sorry for my bad english:
I need to add the following line to syslog.conf:
"x.* @my_remote_syslogserver"
where x is the syslog facility used by nagios for writing in to the /var/log/message log file. can someone tell me what is x?
eg. daemon, syslog, local, local7, kern, etc…?
really thanks in advance for any reply!

I turned on syslog 1 in nagios.cfg and from what I see in the /var/log/messages file, it’s “nagios”.

really thanks, but “nagios.*” doesn’t work for me! any other help?

Paste an entry made to “messages” by nagios please.

nagios: SERVICE ALERT: Services Web;xxxx.verify;OK;SOFT;2;HTTP ok: HTTP/1.1 200 OK - 0.457 second response time

I guess I just don’t know, but it still looks like “nagios.*” would work, but I must be wrong.

so if you put in your syslog the following string:
"nagios.* /var/log/test.log"
does every entry made by nagios is inserted in /var/log/test.log? can you try please?
really thanks

I was right, i don’t know what I’m talking about. i can’t figure out what one it’s using either. i can’t find it in the source either. Some apps, you can specify what facility you want to use during the compile, or just set an option in a .cfg file, like apache httpd.conf

thanks you for your help. I think the question now is: how can i setup a syslog facility in nagios?

It appears to be sending the syslog alert notifications to “user.info”, at least on my system.

yes it is, really thanks, it work now! how did you guess that?

I’m running a syslog-ng loghost and piping the data to a mysql database, so I have priority and facility as separate columns in my tables. A quick search for “nagios and alert” showed me the facility and priority fields.

Did anyone ever figure out what facility.priority to use within syslog.conf to send nagios messages to a remote server? Guess I didn’t see the complete post - oops :slight_smile:

I’m forwarding all syslog events to a remote server but its a bit noisy. I’d like to up the priority of the nagios events to critical. Anybody know how to raise the priority of the events sent to syslog ?